View Single Post
Old 01-01-2010, 01:30 PM   #11
BobBrisket

Name/Nickname : Bob

Looks like young pecan. I get those freaking wood boring beetles here all the time. The ones I get look like wasps, black with yellow stripes. They leave all the other wood alone, and just seem to attack the pecan only. That one you have was ready to bore it's way out in the spring. I've found everything from the larvae to the adults. This year wasn't so bad because the mockingbirds, sparrows and robins camped out in the woodpile and just picked em off. They had a freaking buffet this summer.
This site is great for identifying bugs. I will see 2-3 different types in my wood pile every year.
http://www.whatsthatbug.com/2010/01/...stump-borer-6/

They will go back to the woodpile every year and lay their eggs in the borrows they made the year before. The other pests that will move into those tunnels are leaf cutter bees. I've cut into a few logs and found the tunnels stuffed full with rose petal cuttings and leaves of all colors.
PBC-Courtesy of Poobah, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle Black and Red, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver, Lil' Chief Smoker, Discada Set Up,OKJ Highland Offset.
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver
My BEST Compliment....."You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son :)
Miss You, Marty and Bull! RIP
BobBrisket is offline   Reply With Quote