Brisket...Try something new or tried and true?

electron_si

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I have 2 brisket cooks coming up for friends and family. I’ve always done brisket the same. Buy a packer from sam’s. Trim excess fat, rub with worsch and then oakridge Black ops. Smoke with hickory pellets, wrap with BP, probe at 200+ and pull when tender. Rest for 3-4 hours wrapped in towels.

My dilemma....when cooking for friends or family I hold myself to a really high standard. I always get good reviews and I’m worried about messing with success. I also have self diagnosed BBQ ADD. Doing the same thing over and over gets boring and I’ve been watching competition style videos to try something new.

So Brethren. Do I toe the line and do the normal cook or do I separate the point and flat, trim aggressively, find a new rub, inject with butcher BBQ and do burnt ends and slices.

Go nuts... It's not my brisket, rep or family. :heh:

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

You haven't done a brisket until it is slathered in mayo. Foe real.

Get it out of your system and try something new!

Just noticed that you post something about brisket and four Texans comment on it.

If you want to change just one thing get some Sucklebusters 1836 rub and use it it instead of Black Ops.

It's your cook, man, do it how you want.

Just don't par boil it. That sh*t's just wrong.

I dont change up brisket often as im happy with what i do. I did one this weekend and got creative. Not my best one. It was $27 so not the hardest hit

Do something new and let us know how it turns out. I love to experiment, I have my "brisket routine " down for catering but when it is going to end up in my mouth I love to color outside the lines. I am normally a slice it all kind of guy, but from time to time a steaming tray of burnt ends is just what the doctor ordered. I would suggest start there.

Smokey

I just took a competition class with David from Butcher's BBQ and he separates the flat and the point and aggressively trims before injecting and then smoking.

I have a catering background so it was hard to wrap my head around breaking down an entire Wagyu brisket to ultimately get eight slices and burnt ends in a competition box, but something I will definitely try at home to "do something different".

Since you are cooking two, its a great time to try something new on one of them.

Update: went to Sams in KC and found 2 prime packers. My sams has recently only been selling select CAB’s. They use to stock prime. So I bought 2 decent sized ones.

Went to a local place that sells Kamados because it said they carry sucklebusters and butcher BBQ. They didn’t have 1836 but I found some dizzy pig and picked up some butcher BBQ prime brisket injection

First brisket I’m going to try a more aggressive trim but not separate the point and the flat. Use oakridge black ops for a base rub then dizzy pigs. Injection with the Butcher BBQ prime.

Depending on how that one turns out I can make adjustments on brisket #2

Ep3c6Zel.jpg

4S8AjPZl.jpg

Back