Cast Iron Question

Sway

Full Fledged Farker
Got these today for free, dont see any marking on the rusted stuff so not sure where thay are from? Anyone seen them before and are they worth bringing back to life?

cast-iron.jpg

Looks like a lot of elbow grease, but they look restorable from what I can see from here. I know there are threads that address the process on this site.

Keep us posted

KC

Absolutely worth bringing back to life. I've never tried it but I was just talking to a guy that says to coat nasty cast iron with oven cleaner then into a black plastic garbage bag then into the sun. He said to let it sit for a day or two, scrub clean and start seasoning.

For the rusty pieces only.....

Soak pieces in solution of 50% white vinegar and 50% water for couple hours. Now this will depend on each piece, BUT remember vinegar is an acid and acids EAT metal You will ruin your piece if you let it in the bath too long. This is NOT like a lye bath.

Remove from vinegar solution, rinse and rub/brush to determine if rust has been removed. Repeat vinegar bath if required.

Dry, oil, wipe, buff.

The others look like a good wash and then seasoning them is all that is needed.

Charbroil says you can soak their cast iron in 50/50 vinegar and water as well. I am doing so now to an old 1964 Charbroil. The stuff is indeed coming off. I intend to oil the grates when they dry and re-season them.

Looks like you got yourself a Dutch oven. a cornbread iron plus 2 oval somethings and a squarish thing a jig.

Looks like you got yourself a Dutch oven. a cornbread iron plus 2 oval somethings and a squarish thing a jig.

I really got three cornbread things but didn't all fit in pic. Not really sure what the oval things are?

I would take them to a shop that will sand blast them for you. Then re-season them with shortening or lard and put them in your outdoor cooker for a couple hours at about 350.

I have used stainless steel shot peen reviving pans before, real gentle on surface.then re - seal them after a cleaning with barkeepers cleanser, then finnish with good ole fashioned heat cure and oil..

I've done everything from shrimp scampi to individual orders of shepherds pie in the oval pans. I love cooking with cast iron and think its always worth bringing back to life.

Gosh yes save those. I love cast iron. As long as I ain't feeling lazy and feel like hand cleaning pans I'll use cast iron over stainless every time.

The Oval ones are Au Gratins. The look like mine from Le Creuset only with the Enamel removed. They are very expensive with the enamel.
You can check out the link below to see them.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Le-Creuset-Heritage-Enameled-Cast-Iron/dp/B0000AR0CU/ref=sr_1_21?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1368966435&sr=1-21&keywords=au+gratin+dishes"]Amazon.com: Le Creuset Heritage Enameled Cast-Iron 1-Quart Oval Au Gratin, Flame: Kitchen & Dining[/ame]

I really got three cornbread things but didn't all fit in pic. Not really sure what the oval things are?

Back