Bandera 101 Document

Where is the "file section"? I was looking for the template for the baffle to use in conjunction with a water pan inside the smokebox. I am still using the aluminum foil mod. There used to be one, that when printed, was 2 pages with mirror-imaged layouts. The Bandera 101 doc makes reference to this file section but other than that I cannot find it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance y'all!

where is the "file section"? I was looking for the template for the baffle to use in conjunction with a water pan inside the smokebox. I am still using the aluminum foil mod. There used to be one, that when printed, was 2 pages with mirror-imaged layouts. The bandera 101 doc makes reference to this file section but other than that i cannot find it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance y'all!
View attachment baffle by drkthunder2000.pdf

Split Fire Bricks

Finding this page was a life saver. I am presently rebuilding my bandera. I made a charcoal basket an used it so many times I burned a hole thru my fire box lid. Ive replaced the lid and am in the process of adding fire bricks. has any one used them both in the fire box and the cooking chamber??
JC

You may have already found this, but in addition to the 101 document, on the first page of this thread, I posted a picture of my firebox. All I used was a circular saw and a 7 inch cut off wheel from Home Depot.

Put bricks in both the firebox and the smoke box. Not sure how much difference they make in the smoke box, but they look good. I also reused the cinder tray from the fire box in the bottom of the smoke box to make clean up easy. Just rap the tray in foil.

Attachments

• BBQ Happy Bunny V1.bmp
    124.5 KB · Views: 2,845
Last edited:
I can't find the Bandera anywhere. Academy showed it on their website a few weeks ago and now when I'm ready to buy it is gone and they don't have them in their stores anymore. Anyone know where I can get a new one???? Also would love to know the exact specs on this smoker haven't been able to find them online.

Have you ask a Manager at Academy? Alot of time they don't show up this early in the year.

If they are not going to carry them any more, look for same thing as a Char-Broil but the Char-broil name tag added $$$.

I can't find the Bandera anywhere. Academy showed it on their website a few weeks ago and now when I'm ready to buy it is gone and they don't have them in their stores anymore. Anyone know where I can get a new one???? Also would love to know the exact specs on this smoker haven't been able to find them online.

I found the Brinkmann Smoke N Pit Smoke King Deluxe at the BBQ Grill Store (www.bbqsinc.com) for $549 and the Bandera at The Grill Outlet (www.thegrilloutlet.com) for $349. There's a few other mail order places that carry them; they'll show up with a Google search.

NB_Bandera.jpg

That I took this picture thinking of this smoker is proof that I'm a 'que geek.

My Bandera project. When it first showed up it didn't even have wheels. Just some nubby plastic wrapped around the axel. First thing I did was but 2 new steel rimmed wheels on it so I could move it inside before my neighbors decided to chase me out of the neighborhood.

Attachments

• IMG_0380.JPG
    IMG_0380.JPG
    55.2 KB · Views: 1,938
  • IMG_0379.JPG
    IMG_0379.JPG
    58.2 KB · Views: 1,931
  • IMG_0378.JPG
    IMG_0378.JPG
    93 KB · Views: 1,951
  • IMG_0376.JPG
    IMG_0376.JPG
    110 KB · Views: 1,951
  • IMG_0375.JPG
    IMG_0375.JPG
    52.7 KB · Views: 1,946
  • IMG_0374.JPG
    IMG_0374.JPG
    61.2 KB · Views: 1,951
  • IMG_0373.JPG
    IMG_0373.JPG
    93.5 KB · Views: 1,972
  • IMG_0372.JPG
    IMG_0372.JPG
    67.3 KB · Views: 1,975
Here she is after 10 days of work. Still some more work to do, but it's getting close. Can't wait to fire it up. It'll be my first time using a real smoker, but I'm ready to get rolling! I'll post some more pics when it's all done.

I'll get some daylight pics when it's all done. Modifications so far:

• Deflector in the smoke box.
  • Firebricks in the smoke box and fire box
  • Drain holes in the smoke box.
  • Charcoal basket
  • Steel rimmed wheels
It's really been a blessing finding this group. I feel like I'll be able to start this new hobby doing it correctly from the start.

Attachments

• IMG_0453b.JPG
    IMG_0453b.JPG
    159.6 KB · Views: 1,951
  • IMG_0452b.JPG
    IMG_0452b.JPG
    180.3 KB · Views: 1,956
  • IMG_0451b.jpg
    IMG_0451b.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 1,945
I found the Brinkmann Smoke N Pit Smoke King Deluxe at the BBQ Grill Store (www.bbqsinc.com) for $549 and the Bandera at The Grill Outlet (www.thegrilloutlet.com) for $349. There's a few other mail order places that carry them; they'll show up with a Google search.
Please excuse if this seems like a dumb question but I understand Char-Broil bought out New Braunfels a few years ago. Do they still make the Bandera or is the one listed on the Grill Outlet site an older genuine New Braunfels model? On the Char-Broil site they do not have any New Braunfels models listed. Just curious, how does the Bandera compare with the Brinkmann Smoke King?

I just came from the Academy in Plano and they have an Old Country Vertical Smoker that caught my eye but did not have a price tag on it and they were way too busy and I was in too much of a hurry to try to get an associate to find out for me. I may have to go back when they are not so busy.

I registered on this site because I am in the market for a smoker and will probably end up with an WSM but I am intrigued by the Bandera.

Thanks!
Rob

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's the finished smoker project. I fired it up on Sunday. It got up to 250 degrees in less than ten minutes. Now I just need to get better at holding temp for a sustained period. Hopefully next weekend I'll put some real eats in it and go to town! I'm looking forward to learning more about using it and figuring out how to make some world class bbq!

Attachments

• IMG_0494.JPG
    IMG_0494.JPG
    78.1 KB · Views: 1,917
  • IMG_0493.JPG
    IMG_0493.JPG
    103.2 KB · Views: 1,921
  • IMG_0492.JPG
    IMG_0492.JPG
    51.7 KB · Views: 1,913
  • IMG_0489.JPG
    IMG_0489.JPG
    55 KB · Views: 1,920
  • IMG_0483.JPG
    IMG_0483.JPG
    109.8 KB · Views: 1,933
  • IMG_0480.JPG
    IMG_0480.JPG
    39.8 KB · Views: 1,927
  • IMG_0469.JPG
    IMG_0469.JPG
    65.7 KB · Views: 1,930
  • IMG_0467.JPG
    IMG_0467.JPG
    50.2 KB · Views: 1,937
  • IMG_0501.JPG
    IMG_0501.JPG
    141.4 KB · Views: 1,918
Thats a work of art. Brings a tear to my eye.:) Those banderas have a special place among many of us here. Great job.

I had the damnedest time finding a new water pan for the Bandera. I must of went to a dozen or more stores (over a 2 week period) that carry kitchen or grilling supplies. I was about to give up when I had an epiphany... a dog food bowl. There was a pet store in the same parking lot so I hopped in and they had a stainless steel bowl with a wide rim that was exactly the right size---and it was only $10. I also found a butcher block cutting board at TJ Maxx for $10 as well.

After the first time firing it up the restored paint on the firebox held up perfectly. Can't wait to see if it continues to hold---but if not I've got an extra can of paint on hand and ready.

The only thing left to do is clean up the metal cooking grates which are fugly and rusty.

Back