Flank steak with chimichurri sauce and asparagus (and Pron)

W

weconway

Made my first flank steak on the grill for dinner last night. My family ate in complete silence, which means they liked it!

This meal came together quickly, mostly because I made the sauce while the grill was heating up. I made some asparagus while the meat was resting, so from start to finish I had food on the table in about 45 minutes (my wife pulled the steak out of the fridge before I got home and made some instant mashed potatoes while I was grilling).

The flank steak was just seasoned with salt and pepper and cooked at 700* for about 4 minutes per side.

The asparagus was seasoned with EVOO, salt and pepper and cooked at 700* until I started to get some charring around the outside.

I served the flank steak on a chimichurri sauce, which was incredible. Here's the recipe:

Chimichurri Sauce

1 bunch cilantro
1 bunch parsley
½ Serrano pepper, seeded with membrane removed
2 cloves garlic
½ cup extra virgin olive oil
2 ½ tablespoons red wine vinegar
½ teaspoon cumin
½ teaspoon salt (or to taste)

Whirl in a blender till smooth

IMG_1632.jpg

IMG_1639.jpg

IMG_1646.jpg

IMG_1650.jpg

IMG_1653.jpg

(my wife pulled the steak out of the fridge before I got home and made some instant mashed potatoes while I was grilling).

Who needs instant mashed potatoes? Love the flank...deeelicious.

Who needs instant mashed potatoes? Love the flank...deeelicious.

Gotta have some kind of carb, I guess. The potatoes were awesome with the sauce mixed in!

Besides, gotta give the wife something to do while I'm out back.

Very nice looking pics and food!
I love asparagus!

Thanks, I will be trying this real soon.
I do flank steaks all the time, this looks like something we will really enjoy.

Never had chimicurri sauce but it looks great! I'm gonna have to try it. Can you freeze the rest of it and is it possible to descibe the taste of it? Great looking food!

Never had chimicurri sauce but it looks great! I'm gonna have to try it. Can you freeze the rest of it and is it possible to descibe the taste of it? Great looking food!

I'm sure it's possible to freeze it. I'm going to use the rest to marinade some chicken or a pork tenderloin.

It's a lot like a pesto sauce, but with a bit fresher of a taste and a little heat.

Love that first picture of the steak on the grate! The food looks great!! Have to try the chimichurri sauce one day soon.

That looks terrific. I love chimichurri sauce, it is great stuff.

Chimichurri Sauce

Weconway:

Even though I can imagine that your sauce must be good tasting, it is NOT chimichurri. Chimichurri is from Argentina (I am from Argentina), the base of the sauce is equal ingredients of: Crushed Red Pepper Flakes, Oregano, Parsley and Garlic mixed with Red Wine Vinegar and Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
Depending on the region they add more or less of each ingredient.

In the Capital (Buenos Aires) some people add in small amount crushed anchovies (there are a lot of Italian inmigrants in BsAs and they sort of basterized it with the anchovies).

No way will there be cilantro, as a matter of fact if you go to any supermarket or farmers market in Argentina and ask for cilantro or serrano pepper they will look at you with a strange face,, it does not sell at all down there.

You can make it yourself or buy it here in the US bottled or in a dehidrated bag, I have tried almost all the bottled versions and can say that they are not so good, they have some kind of salad dressing taste (to much oil that is not even extra virgin O.O.) the dehidrated is very good and saves time
you can buy it here:http://www.amigofoods.com/aldrychmix25.html
every time I have friends over for grilled meats they expect me to have a bowl of Alicante Chimichurri sauce. . .
Saludos, Gustavouno

Weconway:

Even though I can imagine that your sauce must be good tasting, it is NOT chimichurri. Chimichurri is from Argentina (I am from Argentina), the base of the sauce is equal ingredients of: Crushed Red Pepper Flakes, Oregano, Parsley and Garlic mixed with Red Wine Vinegar and Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
Depending on the region they add more or less of each ingredient.

In the Capital (Buenos Aires) some people add in small amount crushed anchovies (there are a lot of Italian inmigrants in BsAs and they sort of basterized it with the anchovies).

I hope you weren't offended. :oops:

I have to admit this is my first go around at a chimichurri. In my research I went through a few recipes and picked the best parts out of each of them. I'm not surprised that the result is a bastardized American version.

Is there a good recipe that would provide a starting point for something more authentic? I think the addition of anchovies sounds really really interesting.

Back