Dessert Ideas???

morgan-que

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I have my 9 year old nephew wanting to do a dessert at our next comp. Any good suggestions for a dessert to turn in and maybe get the boy a walk. Yes, he will be preparing the dessert himself and I will be is taster for a change.

What thejames said. If you want to walk, odds are you need to do a cheesecake.
Ask the kid what his favorite chocolate-type candy is (Reece's, Oreos, Heath, Kit Kat, etc.) and google for a cheesecake recipe that uses that candy bar.

Cheesecake isn't winning like it once was (and if you make one it better be banging, can't just make any cheesecake and expect it to win). Lots of cobblers, trifles, pies, ice cream concoctions have been evening out the entries the last few years from what I've seen.

I'd ask him what he wants to make, find a good recipe of that and go from there. Will probably be more fun for him than saying "here make this".

I have a comp this weekend, and will be doing the dessert ancillary. If it does well, I will pass it on to you.

Thanks for the input so far. He already makes a decent cheese cake so may just go that route.

Keep the ideas coming.

A Apple Pecan Upside-Down Pie is unusual and delicious. You put a brown sugar and butter mixture in the bottom of your pie and and arrange a pattern of pecan halves on top of that. THEN you build a two crust apple pie on top of that. When it comes out of your cooker the caramel is hot and bubbling and you immediately cover it with your serving dish and flip it. Give it a minute for the caramel to drizzle over everything and then remove the pie pan. The pecan arrangement can be spectacular. I make the apple pie with lime juice instead of lemon and that gives it a little kick. When cool the caramel gets hard, sort of candied pecans.

The comp I'm doing this weekend bans cheesecake from the dessert category, first time I have seen that, but I think it reflects on how often they win. Kind of like the old demo derby rule banning Chrysler Imperials (probably dating myself there).

The comp I'm doing this weekend bans cheesecake from the dessert category, first time I have seen that, but I think it reflects on how often they win. Kind of like the old demo derby rule banning Chrysler Imperials (probably dating myself there).

I've heard of contests banning cheesecakes, but never done one.

On a similar note, the Great Lenexa BBQ Battle used to have a Chef's Choice category where anything was allowed, except the 4 main categories. The planning committee got fed up with Beef Tenderloin winning the Chef's Choice category every year, so they split up the category. Beefsteak can be any cut of steak; Chef's Choice can be anything expect the 4 main categories and beef steak.

Cheesecakes need to be over the top. not just any ole cheesecake will do. have seen bread puddings do well before too

I saw Banana Pudding win at the Guinea Pig in CA back in February... I about fell out of my chair.

I did peanut butter pie and got my ass handed to me...

Ya totally! ......you mean people are actually making their own desserts?? :crazy:

Crazy, isn't it?!

On a side note, I encourage everyone to go cook in NEBSland at least once. For their grilling contests teams will drop some legit coin to win $50. Some of the best food I've ever sampled. To get an idea check out this forum and social media from back in the day to see some of the stuff iQue, I Smell Smoke!!! and others have turned in. It's insane!

X-2 on banana pudding. It can't be bought at Costco. And if you have a good recipe, it will be killer.

Yeah, a good bananna pudding. There are some creative things you can add to make it unique.

Bake eclairs, this is one of the most delicious desserts. If you fill it with chocolate cream, then you can safely treat your neighbors with it. Unfortunately, I have never been able to cook well, and if I want to eat I have to order food. My husband wanted me to learn how to make eclairs, but I have constant problems with the cream. I couldn't make a gentle mass. I always order eclairs at https://www.queensdelight, and I tell my husband that I made it by myself. Lying is bad, of course, so I'm learning to cook.

A nice gooey butter tart should do well. You need a good flakey pastry as well.

It was a beautiful banana pudding, but it ended up losing the coin flip to the Cheesecake. Ask the guy who made it about the coin flip - too soon still Derrick?

Back