Really, really dumb brisket question.

I do not do overnight. I will hit the bed early and get up before the sun to cook.
If it is going to go overnight it gets wrapped and into the oven. still with a probe set for min and max temperature alarms.

No such thing as a dumb question Nothing wrong with cooking overnight I do it all of the time Works great I like long cooks however I recently had to do pork butts at a high temp turned out great Next time it will be a long cook If you need to cook hot and fast as stated here Let us know how it turns out

I cook briskets overnight on my WSM on a fairly regular basis. Using a temp controller and remote therm helps a lot with ease of mind while sleeping, and I don't have the cooker neary anything flammable. It works very well for me.

I used to do overnight cooks, but, while I've always been lazy, now I'm old and lazy, which is quite the combo.
old-01.gif

I do the same.:thumb::thumb:
DanB

If Wife Has A Problem You Got A Problem. Get Up Early 300+ Til Done. Wasn't An Over Night Cook Door Fell Off Wsm. Glad I Only Was Gone For An Hour.

I wanted to provide an update.

The brisket went on the WSM this morning at 8 AM. I think I pulled it around 3:45 at 195ºF. So that's almost eight hours at over 300 degrees.

I used a basic salt and pepper rub, and used hickory wood for the smoke.

Results:

I was a bit disappointed with how tough the bark turned out. Is it supposed to be like that? It also had an extremely mild (almost non-existent) smoke flavor. I didn't spritz it, however. That, and maybe the temperature was too high.

Once I got past the bark, though, the meat itself was fairly tender and well-cooked, with a nice overall flavor (sans the smokiness I was expecting).

Overall, I would call it a successful first brisket cook.

Something strange happened, though, when I was firing up the coals in my chimney this morning. I'm watching them burn, and I hear this loud bang from within the chimney. Anyone ever had that happen? It really startled me. And it only happened once.

Was the chimney on concrete? If so, the heat can cause the concrete to explode

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Was the chimney on concrete? If so, the heat can cause the concrete to explode

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

It was. But I've used a chimney starter on concrete plenty of times before, and this is the first time this has ever happened. My walkway doesn't look damaged.

I use a wifi temp probe that supports multiple probes (Grilleye, up to 8 probes!) and leave one of the probes to monitor the air temp inside the smoker and use the other probes in my meat.

For that air temp probe, I set a high (usually 350Fmax) and low (usually 140F min) alarm range and go to bed with my linked phone by the bed. If the fire goes out or really flames up, the alarm on my phone goes off, waking me up. I have the added bonus of easily "checking my meat" from the bed in the middle of the night :)

Back