• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Brining thighs, how long?

Wager

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
For those that brine your thighs for competition, how long do you leave them in the brine? I'm use to doing a whole bird for 12 + hours but as small as the thighs are how long does it take?

Also, where do you find the biggest benefit from brining, tenderness, or taste, or both? I would like to try and get my tenderness scores up somehow and was hoping this might be one route that will help.

Last edited:
1 to 1.5 hour tops. Anything longer and you will taste the salt. Brining is gift from the Gods. Your thighs will be juicy and flavorful. I have started using Oakridge Game Changer brine instead of making my own and got a walk in our last comp compared to always being middle of the pack. Brine those thighs!

Thanks guys. looks like I will be ordering some Game Changer to try out.

Do you find that it helps your tenderness scores at all?

I believe it really depends on the contents of the brine, especially salt. Ive been going up to 6 hrs with good results.

For the single pieces I usaully brine for 1-3 hours depending on the size of the pieces, whole chickens 8-12 hours, again depending on size.
I think it improves the flavor, juiciness and the tenderness. I've heard from some that they felt that brining takes away from the true chicken flavor, but I just use the simple basic brine, and don't feel that I get those results.

I believe it really depends on the contents of the brine, especially salt. Ive been going up to 6 hrs with good results.

I agree have gone 12 hrs on a watered down brine.

WELL, since we are are known for not keeping any secrets I'll say honestly....we brine thighs for 12 hrs....put them on brine at 8 PM and off at 8 AM....

4 cups water
1/4 C salt
1/4 C sugar
1/8 C Buttrub

We are not #1 in KCBS chicken this year but if you do a thorough review of our results you will see that we do not do too bad. The latter part of the year is a result of some sauce tweaks that went bad, and that will change.... but we assure you, tenderness cores do not suffer averaging 8.2......

We use our own brine, soak for almost exactly 4 hours and then rinse, rub and cook. It's worked for us, but everyone has a different approach.

Brine time definitely depends on the concentration of the brine, and to a lesser degree, the size of the item(s) being brined. Thighs in Game Changer at full strength, 1.5-2 hours. Thighs in Game Changer at half strength, anywhere from 4 hours all the way up to 12.

are you using full strength for this amount of time?

No, you can use full strength for 1-2 hours but I prefer a longer brine. We cut it back to about 1/4. We are very happy with the results, but have had to use full strength before and had good results.

No, you can use full strength for 1-2 hours but I prefer a longer brine. We cut it back to about 1/4. We are very happy with the results, but have had to use full strength before and had good results.

Sounds great. I used it the free sample he gave out awhile back, but it was just to try out. I just ordered another pack that I plan on using for competitions.

We brine our thighs in Kosmo's Chicken soak for 3 hours tops. I cooked with another team this year the weekend after we received our 180 in chicken and we accidently put the chicken into the brine for 12 hours.

The chicken skins absorbed so much liquid that they literally burst like popcorn in the smoker. It was like they disappeared.

Back