Thanksgiving Ham Gifting Moved to Christmas

thirdeye

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Reaction score
juLN77H.jpg

I had a plan to gift some carver hams to friends in time for Thanksgiving, but Sam's Club didn't have them in stock. Yesterday.... the meat case was loaded, like 75 or more. So I picked up 10 and will smoke them a few days before Christmas.

These are about 4# each and basically a ready-to-eat outside muscle, rear leg ham. These came in between $9 and $10. My standard drill is to score the fat side and season with cracked pepper. Then I smoke to 140° using a 250° pit temp. The second smoke sort of wakes up the flavor, but it's still mild. Just slightly smokier than a standard city ham.

Good friend! I just smoked a spiral ham last weekend then my wife’s sister and BIL came in. My boys loved it!

Those hams are really good. Sadly, for me anyway, they are seasonal. They only get them in the store for Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter. They do take the smoke really well. Cooked two today along with a 10 pound turkey breast using B&B Char-logs and Hickory. For some folks it was the ham, for others the turkey. I liked them both.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

Robert

What a great idea. Always kinda just looked past those. I will be sure to check my next trip,

Those hams are really good. Sadly, for me anyway, they are seasonal. They only get them in the store for Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter. They do take the smoke really well. Cooked two today along with a 10 pound turkey breast using B&B Char-logs and Hickory. For some folks it was the ham, for others the turkey. I liked them both.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

Robert
I see them on occasion during the year. I've actually had them put an order on their white board for 2 at a time, they call when they come in. The size alone makes them attractive for gift because they could be an addition to a Christmas meal, a holiday brunch or several breakfasts.

I'm impressed that you have enough space to store those!

Beer fridge. At 4# and somewhat flat, they are a good fit. BTW, I have 3 home cured loin hams in there too, and still room for some beer. :biggrin1:

Can't wait to see the finished product.

I'm giving them away a few days before Christmas, I'll try to post a group photo since I'll do 3 or 4 at a time in my drum. But here is a peek of the last one I did.

K3KityM.jpg

I see them on occasion during the year. I've actually had them put an order on their white board for 2 at a time, they call when they come in. The size alone makes them attractive for gift because they could be an addition to a Christmas meal, a holiday brunch or several breakfasts.

Thanks for the info. What is this "White Board" that you speak of?

Thanks,

Robert

We had the same hams this year. Rubbed with brown sugar and dejoin mustard. Turned out really well.

I was a fan of the size. I like bone in ham flavor but I'm sick of ham by the time we are done with it. I'm 100 percent certain we will do one again.

Thanks for the info. What is this "White Board" that you speak of?

Thanks,

Robert

It's one of those erasable dry marker and magnetic white boards. My Sam's has one in the back to keep track of orders that businesses or individuas call-in and I would guess general memo's and such. So when you pre-order something or ask that they hold back something for you, your name and phone number are added to 'the board'.

It's one of those erasable dry marker and magnetic white boards. My Sam's has one in the back to keep track of orders that businesses or individuas call-in and I would guess general memo's and such. So when you pre-order something or ask that they hold back something for you, your name and phone number are added to 'the board'.

This is how I get the short ribs (plate) from them.

Good to know. I've never seen one, so I will have to look for it or inquire about it.

Thanks for the info.

Robert

Back