Whole Hog/Pig

GMDGeek

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I have a call into Hirsch's and Rudolph's for pricing as my other source fell through ... I know Restaurant Depot has some but I am looking for other means of obtaining a 65-80lbs pig - head on in the Dallas area.

Any recommendations? I have the cook Friday/Saturday this weekend.

Thanks,
Gerry

I wish he hadn't dropped the ball on ordering meat. I usually order pig 2 weeks out. So no pigs available ... well one for around $350 that is ~60lbs ...

So I am thinking of scrapping the whole hog idea and doing a bunch of pork shoulders and pork belly... thoughts????

Gerry

Looks like Pork Shoulder and Pork Belly is what we will be doing. Next time, I make them give me the money and I will order the meat... why people wait til 2 or 3 days before the cook to order stuff is beyond me.

Local Yocal and David's meat were no goes as well. All in all, I have tried about a dozen places. No luck. Moral of the story - don't wait until the last minute to order, ESPECIALLY when there has been a recent pig health issue.

I wish he hadn't dropped the ball on ordering meat. I usually order pig 2 weeks out. So no pigs available ... well one for around $350 that is ~60lbs ... (Please tell me you are kidding? Good gravy. Do they at least wear masks and tell you to put the money in a paper bag? :shock:)

So I am thinking of scrapping the whole hog idea and doing a bunch of pork shoulders and pork belly... thoughts???? (Great Plan B. The yield will be much higher)

Gerry

Over $8 per pound?

Rudolph's said they could get me one around 60lbs but that it would be around $5.50 a pound.

Back