• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Deep freeze question.

WilliamKY

is One Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Reaction score
Yesterday my dad gave me a 5.5 cubic ft freezer that works great. The temperature setting dial is 1-5 (5 being the coldest). I've had it on 1 for 24hrs and a thermometer inside says +2F. That's pretty cold for the lowest setting but the freezer is completely empty. My question is, do I really need to go any colder than that when it's stocked? Is there a preferred temp to freeze at? Thanks.

I found this helpful resource

"The ideal freezer temperature is 0 Fahrenheit (-18 Celsius) for all food storage. And -10 Fahrenheit (-23 Celsius) is recommended to quickly freeze food.

So your ideal freezer temperature is the depends on if you are freezing or storing food.

For example, if I am planning to fill the freezer after a day of shopping or freezer cooking I turn the temp to -10.

The next day, when everything is frozen solid, I move the temp back to 0. Why does this matter?"

My Hotpoint says to set to 5 degrees. So I have it so it goes between 2 and 5. It is 7 cu ft.

Last edited:
What onemanlan and Happy said. Starts with the purpose of the freezer and ends with the amount of stuff inside the freezer. So, set the temp to what you're planning on doing.

Once you're decided on the need, you're typically good to go! With frozen food occupying the space and serving as a source of cold, less air needs to be cooled to get to whatever is the set point temperature.

Good luck!
Bruce

What onemanlan and Happy said. Starts with the purpose of the freezer and ends with the amount of stuff inside the freezer. So, set the temp to what you're planning on doing.

Once you're decided on the need, you're typically good to go! With frozen food occupying the space and serving as a source of cold, less air needs to be cooled to get to whatever is the set point temperature.

Good luck!
Bruce

So if I am going for long term storage should it shoot for zero? 7 cu ft about half full.

I personally start to get worried when my freezers are above zero.

Agree that you need to fill it up. Maybe some milk jugs of water to test it out.

If you don't need to get a bunch of food frozen quickly and just want to store food, would set temp to zero degrees F.

If you add more stuff to keep the freezer full, the compressor won't have to work as hard to keep temps vs. if the freezer is only partially full. Not sure it matters a whole lot in practice...all the freezer space I've ever had access to tends to fill up to the brim rather quickly. Freezer space is kind of like closet space: there's never quite enough (or, more probably, we expend to fill the available space!).

Bruce

Bruce

I run any fridge or freezer the exact same way, the coldest setting they have.

0-5 has always been the recommended setting with 0 where you want to be, 36-42 in the fresh food section with 38 being a good compromise to keep stuff without having it freeze , I work on them daily and have since 98 full time. set them where you want I need more business lol .

Thanks for all the advice. I have about 20lbs of meat in it and I've noticed it rarely kicks on now. Temp hanging around 0 - +2F on lowest setting. Its not a frost free unit but I figure that is cold enough and prevents less frost. I doubt I will fill this up but I may grab a couple bags of ice to put in the bottom and fill the void.

A FULL FREEZER is a happy freezer.Turn her as cold as she will go and GRADUALLY fill it.Fuller the better.

Thanks for all the advice. I have about 20lbs of meat in it and I've noticed it rarely kicks on now. Temp hanging around 0 - +2F on lowest setting. Its not a frost free unit but I figure that is cold enough and prevents less frost. I doubt I will fill this up but I may grab a couple bags of ice to put in the bottom and fill the void.

Need to get that Shirley fired up more often then! :mrgreen:

Hope it works well for you!

Bruce

Back