Texas Roadtrip suggestions

SpaceDude

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Hi all,

I ended up winning an auction for a car located in Corpus Christi and will be flying there and driving it back to Albuquerque tomorrow.

Any suggestions for BBQ restaurants or supply stores along the way? It looks like my route has be taking a lot of off-interstate roads. Roughly I-37 to San Antonio, I-10 to Junction, Hwy 83/84 through Lubbock to the NM border.

So far all I've got pinned into Google Maps is Smolik's Smokehouse in Mathis. Any other suggestions along my route or worth a reasonable detour? In addition to filling my belly for every meal, I'd also love to fill the trunk with some post oak - it's hard to come by in New Mexico!

Thanks!
Brad

Evie Mae’s in Wolfforth (just outside Lubbock). Open Wednesday-Saturday 11:00am to sale out. Check their Facebook page for updates.

We enjoyed Rudy's BBQ in Leon Springs off I-10 (near Six Flags - Fiesta Texas). Billed as "the worst bbq in Texas" :) meat is placed on paper lined tray with sliced bread and other side dishes in small containers. When I lived there, they shoveled burning oak coals from a fire pit and distributed it directly underneath the various meat offerings in the smoking pit. It was originally a gas station with indoor and outdoor picnic style seating, they now have a few franchise locations. My friends in San Antonio still recommend it along with Smoke Shack BBQ on Mulberry St.

Smoke Shack is not a far detour from your route, was featured on Diners, Drive Ins, and Dives, and has won some local awards.

You will see some of the Texas Hill Country between San Antonio and Junction, with the most beautiful parts slightly west of your intended route.

I would suggest the Mexican food but.....New Mexico......you probably get plenty. However, if you are a connoisseur, there are probably style differences, as San Antonio has predominately northern Mexico style dishes, as well as good ol' Tex-Mex.

Sounds like a fun trip.

There is a new place in Seguin named the Burnt Bean that is really good. It’s been getting a ton of press in the state. They are open Thur-Sat from 11-3 or sold out, and open on Sunday at 8 AM with breakfast. Plan on waiting in line, but worth it.

Looks like the most direct route takes you thru San Antonio. Central Market is in Luling just to the East and just North from there is Lockhart and four of the best BBQ Joints in Texas.

San Antonio go to Pinkertons or 2M

Lubbock go to Evie Mae's

on my youtube channel I have a video review of EM. Link is in my signature.

Back