View Single Post
Old 11-25-2020, 10:42 PM   #13
thirdeye
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by friedenfels View Post
I forgot to mention I just found out my neighbor across the street is a KCBS judge - going to enlist his help as well if I decide to pursue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by friedenfels View Post
I do realize up front I have absolutely zero chance of getting a call.....I'm not doing it for that. I just thought I would like to do it once just to say I've done it - so if I end up dead last I'm ok with that. Would like to put my best foot forward, but no expectations. If I decide to pursue, may never do another one after that. May get hooked, who knows?
Maybe see if your neighbor is interested in teaming up, but as funny as this sounds.... not all judges cook barbecue at home, or if they do it might be ribs only. They judge as a hobby

On any given day a newer team might pop out and score well in one event, but over the long run the teams that cook more will score more consistently. The guy on our team that cooked ribs kind of copped an attitude with an 11th place finish. It wasn't until I sat him down and explained how close the scoring truly was in the upper places. A husband and wife team next to us were a newer team too. The weekend before they scored a 180 in pulled pork (which we didn't find out until it was announced at the award ceremony) this was noteworthy because they scored another 180 that week.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote