Vacu seal help

JeffW

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Need some help guys. I have some frozed pulled post and other stuff and when I reheat in a pot of water, the seal comes lose and then I get water mixed with the meat. It even happens when the bags are double sealed. Any ideas on what I can do?? I am using a sears brand vacu sealer and sears bags. As a temp measure, I am putting the frozen bags in zip=loc bags, but the is cumbersome.

Definitely a PITA problem !!! I always have a couple of pieces of hardwood dowel around in the kitchen (1/2" _ 3/4")/ I'd rig up a way to hang the P-P from the dowel and lay it across the pot top so the vacu bag tops don't ever get submerged.
Maybe that's why I haven't been in Sears for an eclipse or two.

Tom B

I heard somewhere (here maybe?) that you could nuke the bags, ya might try that. I've never had your problem, but I use the Foodsaver system. You might could try using Foodsaver bags in the Sears unit one time. I get my FS bags at Menard's for about 1/2 of the FS web site cost. If you have the same problem, then I'm guessing that your heating/sealing bar isn't getting hot enough for a good seal. Just my $0.02
Dave

I've been nuking the bags on the defrost mode when I'm in a hurry, and then High for @30 secs. watch the bag and catch it before it blows up like a balloon! I've been double sealing just incase I do boil them and I use Black and Decker and Rival bags with no problems.
Brian

Jeff-

Try different bags- Foodsaver or Black and Decker. I have used some off brands in the past with bad results. If that doesn't do it, get a new sealer. I have never had problems using Foodsaver and Foodsaver bags.

Biggun said:
Jeff-

Try different bags- Foodsaver or Black and Decker. I have used some off brands in the past with bad results. If that doesn't do it, get a new sealer. I have never had problems using Foodsaver and Foodsaver bags.

Same for me--never a failure boiling in FoodSaver brand.
Never tried the others.

TIM

There's a possibility that you aren't getting a good seal because the machine is sucking the juice from the pork up to the top of the bag before sealing. Try making a barrier between the pork and the seal by doubling over some paper towels and placing in the bag. The paper towels will catch the juice during the vac-u-suck process.

I have found that placing the sealed bag in a bowl or plate (in case it bursts) and microwaving it on around 6 power for a few minutes works great. When the bag turns into a balloon it's done! I've had bad luck boiling them as well.

Back