Johnson Smokers Ultimate Tailgater

Fwismoker

somebody shut me the fark up.
Didn't someone post about a cooker similar to this or was it this one a while back? ....Smitty maybe :noidea:

Anyways after going to their website from seeing the other Johnson Smoker post this smoker/grill really intrigues me. I like that it goes on a hitch, has a rolling base, gas assist, functions like a charcoal grill and is a RF all rolled into one. I like everything except that graffiti logo on the ends! :heh: but that can be replaced with ND. :becky:

http://www.johnsonsmokers.com/ultimate-tailgater/

Great design and in hindsight I wish I would have bought that model instead. Transporting it so much easier.

this would be the ultimate for my Motorhome. I can flat tow a vehicle and have this in the vehicles trailer hitch. My wife is going to kill me..

IDK, the smoker design looks great but it seems like a crap load of weight/torque for a 2" hitch?

IDK, the smoker design looks great but it seems like a crap load of weight/torque for a 2" hitch?
Dave IDK but did you read the info they posted on the hitch?

RECEIVER-HITCH SETUP WITH ROLLING STAND UPGRADE
The pit is perfectly balanced and made to install in a standard 2” receiver hitch. Take a look at the photos for the unit sitting on a truck. Its built strong yet Two men can lift the pit and put it on the reciever hitch, so there are no structural issues as the pit is well under the capacity of the receiver hitch mount which have a 500lb tongue weight capacity. It has been tested on different vehicles and does not damage your paint on your bumper or tail-gate. You can hold your hand 1″ away from the pit at all times while it is cooking and it will not burn you. Rolling stand Upgrade This listing is for the tailgate pit with the extra heavy duty stand with Steel caster wheels. The stand is custom made to allow for the pit to sit in somwhat like a craddle. You can pull it off your hitch, drop it in the stand and roll it around to your backyard or to the cooking area. We do build this same pit with a stationary stand, see my Other items for that design.

Dave IDK but did you read the info they posted on the hitch?

RECEIVER-HITCH SETUP WITH ROLLING STAND UPGRADE
The pit is perfectly balanced and made to install in a standard 2” receiver hitch. Take a look at the photos for the unit sitting on a truck. Its built strong yet Two men can lift the pit and put it on the reciever hitch, so there are no structural issues as the pit is well under the capacity of the receiver hitch mount which have a 500lb tongue weight capacity. It has been tested on different vehicles and does not damage your paint on your bumper or tail-gate. You can hold your hand 1″ away from the pit at all times while it is cooking and it will not burn you. Rolling stand Upgrade This listing is for the tailgate pit with the extra heavy duty stand with Steel caster wheels. The stand is custom made to allow for the pit to sit in somwhat like a craddle. You can pull it off your hitch, drop it in the stand and roll it around to your backyard or to the cooking area. We do build this same pit with a stationary stand, see my Other items for that design.

Nope, did not read that, thanks for pointing it out. I'm guessing if they say 2 men can lift it on & off it is probably less than 200#, just looks a lot more substantial than that.

I don't know about you but I hauled a 11000 lbs toy hauler on a 2" hitch. I am pretty sure that hitch could handle up to 500+ lbs.

It's 3/16th steel and 180lbs (for the basic one, I'm sure this is a little heavier so call it 200-220lbs) according to the website. Even my wife agree it would be a good fit for long RV trips! I may end up with one of these next year.

Nope, did not read that, thanks for pointing it out. I'm guessing if they say 2 men can lift it on & off it is probably less than 200#, just looks a lot more substantial than that.

Yup purposely a little lighter and well balanced so two men can hoist it up on the hitch.

CONCLUSIONS
All in all this is a very efficient unit. The main chamber and firebox are constructed from right at 3/16 steel making it able to be maneuvered by 2 men. It will last a very long time and holds heat better than any I’ve seen. The new T-Reverse flow system, dual Chrome stacks at grate level, dual cooking racks, and added ability to be turned into a Charcoal Grill makes these pits one of a kind and a super flexible cooking unit. This unit is built with the same standards as the large competition style pits that I build that are for sell in other listings. No quality is lost.
There is not another pit like this out there!

Has anyone had experience cooking on one? My concern is that amount of radiant heat close to the plastic rear bumper. Or is the idea to remove it from the hitch and use the stand once you get to your destination?

I've been contemplating building a hitch mounted UDS for some time. Just need a buddy that wants one so I can build it.

That is a cool smoker for sure. Pitmaker makes a ball mounted grill that is pretty sweet as well. However it's a more traditional grill design, not a true smoker. Thanks for sharing the pic. That is one awesome set up for sure.

That is a cool smoker for sure. Pitmaker makes a ball mounted grill that is pretty sweet as well. However it's a more traditional grill design, not a true smoker. Thanks for sharing the pic. That is one awesome set up for sure.

Yea i agree it's a grill design but should function as well as any smoker with that reverse flow.

Here's the write up portion on the RF

Reverse Flow: The pit is designed with industry standard Reverse Flow; yet with this pit I have furthermore advanced the process by creating a design that takes away all hot spots in the pit. There is no need to adjust anything. It’s a T-design heat flow, instead of the standard offset firebox. The smoke and heat travels up from the firebox and hits a steel baffle that protects the cooking rack from being exposed to direct flames from below. The heat/smoke travels on both the left AND right side of the cooking chamber before it is released upward to the cooking surface. Contact me if you’d like a description of its characteristics. The baffle also doubles as a Charcoal tray. So you can smoke ribs one day then charcoal steaks the next on the very same pit!!!!!!! Shelf addition on the outside of the smoker.

Has anyone had experience cooking on one? My concern is that amount of radiant heat close to the plastic rear bumper. Or is the idea to remove it from the hitch and use the stand once you get to your destination?

No it's designed to stay on the hitch and cook.

It has been tested on different vehicles and does not damage your paint on your bumper or tail-gate. You can hold your hand 1″ away from the pit at all times while it is cooking and it will not burn you. Rolling stand Upgrade This listing is for the tailgate pit with the extra heavy duty stand with Steel caster wheels. The stand is custom made to allow for the pit to sit in somwhat like a craddle. You can pull it off your hitch, drop it in the stand and roll it around to your backyard or to the cooking area. We do build this same pit with a stationary stand, see my Other items for that design.

Back