• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

The 2020 Texas BBQ Brethren Spring Bash Planning

90% Successful this morning. Only major item left is the Cabo!! Going to get that later today hopefully.

Being as I work in a large hospital in Dallas have decided not to attend. My primary area to work is low risk but am entering an environment where potential to exposure is higher than normal.

Y'all be safe out there!

I just saw a story about the city of Dallas looking to implement restrictions and guidelines regarding the Coronavirus. Trump wants everyone to restrict gatherings to 10 or less. :doh:

Well guys I'm gonna call it and postpone the 2020 Texas BBQ Brethren Spring Bash.

I've asked a few people I trust and knowledgeable somewhat about things like this.
I believe it would be prudent to just postpone it for later this Spring.
If it was just me I would be there but it's not.
It's all of us and I would hate to have one of us take ill with the virus when attending the Bash and possibly pass it on to their family at home.

Please call, text or email the other guys in case they don't see this post.

I hope you understand.

I understand the need for caution! :wink:

I also think a huge number of people at large are totally over-reacting and making things needlessly worse. Some prudent caution is warranted but, not some of the craziness I'm seeing.

Fights over a 4-pack of toilet paper? Really? Or the lady in line from Kansas buying toilet paper in rural East Texas because "Kansas is out"! :shock: :roll:

Or the lady in line at the grocery store who asked: "Is it safe to boil bottled water?" :der: I mean really, my well comes from the same source at Nestle Waters in Hawkins, Texas and this lady is worried about boiling it! She was really proud to get the last two $9/box antibacterial Kleenex too!:drama:

Prudent caution and sensible cleaning practices I'm fine with but, I'm sorry :der:, a TOILET PAPER FORT won't stop Coronavirus from entering your house!

I just received a phone call, yes a phone call, and the gentleman said the Texas Parks has cancelled reservations for group locations and I will be receiving my money back.
Thank you Texas State Parks for the call. I do appreciate it. :mrgreen:

I'm kind of hankering for a Texas Bash.
Would it be best just to hold off until the Texas Fall Bash? :mrgreen:

I agree with that, but it might be worth looking at North Texas for the Fall Bash. We had pretty light turnout at the last Belton one. Maybe split the difference in time a bit and do it in very early fall to avoid the cold that occasionally hampers the fall bash..

Last edited:
Personally, I like the Belton location a lot. I think the DFW bash location has an advantage though because of the obvious airport advantages and Interstate connections.

Post Coronavirus lockdown, I think Belton has an advantage for people that want to go to Lockhart and Austin for even more BBQ pre or post Bash. Personally, in addition to the Bash, Slovachek's in West is a big draw for me. Of course, I need to visit Lockhart as well. Someday I'll venture a little farther to Snow's and some of the BBQ joints in Austin.

At this point, work permitting, I'm good with anything from El Paso to Texarkana, and Amarillo to Port Aransas! :thumb:

We set the date and made the reservation for belton back in early March as several needed to put in for vacation. The big request is always to avoid UT and A&M home games. That limits the dates a lot. Another issue might be the virus again. The dfw area has had higher rates than Bell county. Of course that could all change.

Overlook Pavilion Saturday 10-24-2020. Belton, Tx

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Wendy did already put in for it off but she says it's pretty open so she could probably change it.
With that being said I am a bit worried about travelling. My concern is getting there and having another lock out. It would suck to get half way there to find out things closed down again.

Honestly still trying to sort it all out

Considering the state of things today, I don't think another lockdown is really possible. With the RIOTS, I suspect in ~3 weeks there will be a pretty big spike in Coronavirus related cases though, I suspect most of those people won't honor social distancing or other related mandates. I also tend to think most local government agencies won't or can't withstand another lockdown and the economic impacts it would bring.

Whether state parks would be open is an unknown if things take a turn for the worse.

Having Texas DPS stop out of state vehicle plates for a 14-day quarantine will be unenforceable this time if it happens again. It is one thing to have two or three cars from Louisianna but, 30 or 50 plus others from other states will overwhelm resources. Now add, law enforcement requirements to deal with RIOTS and other civil disorder and, who is left to deal with quarantine enforcement. Add young adults going to the beach, etc. and again resources are stretched too thin to enforce another wide-scale shutdown.

Whether we want to travel under conditions like that is a different issue.

Most of the people I know are more concerned with haircuts than Coronavirus so, let's just say my expectations are pretty low for another lockdown with any real effect on the general population. Not to mention the election-related disturbances whether you are for or against Trump or Biden or Antifa or BLM or ...!

Well it looks like the EggFest we are to cook at in October may not happen.
If so I will be at the 2020 Texas BBQ Brethren Fall Bash.
May have to be a day trip again unless I can sleep in Paul's Cooker Shack! :mrgreen:

Last edited:
Back