Fort Worth/Dallas trip this weekend

ruger35

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Well, looking for input from you guys. Going to meet the buyer for the smoker in the Fort Worth/Dallas area (he is coming from Fresno, CA; me from Baton Rouge) and we plan to grab some BBQ. My short list is Cattleack if I make it in time on Friday. If not, I plan to stay in Fort Worth and try to get to Panther City and Goldees.

Any other place should be on my list or another restaurant I should try? Right now, plan is to drive in Friday and stay the night, make the swap on Saturday and grab some 'Q then head home.

When I lived in Fort Worth 20+ years ago, my favorite spot was The Railhead. I think it is on Vickery. In fact, when I go back to visit, every few years or so, I always hit that place. Ice cold beer, great ribs and brisket.

Long time Fort Worth resident here, weighing in with my humble opinions.

1) Heim BBQ - two locations, but go to the river site. (Order bacon burnt ends!, and brisket, and beef ribs, and...)
2) Coopers in the Stockyards - order by sight at the pit. Be careful, you can run up the price in a hurry.
3) Angelo's - just north of downtown. Old school barbecue joint with schooners so cold you need gloves. Still what I consider the best pork ribs in town.
4) Railhead - has gone commercial and caters more to the Friday happy hour hook-up scene. BBQ is still ok (not as good as it used to be) and the schooners are cold. It's more of a "see and be seen" vibe now.

Enjoy - lots of BBQ to be had in this town.

I like Mike Anderson's BBQ on Harry Hines, right across from Parkland Hospital. It is where I learned to love smoked brisket while I was on contract at the hospital, more years ago than I care to count.

Heard lots of good things about 407. I am East so don’t make it that far. In McKinney you could go Hutchins. Fri-Sun they serve Texas Twinkies and beef ribs. Twinkies are big jalapeño stuffed with brisket, cream cheese and wrapped in bacon. I could live on those.

I would hit Pecan Lodge if it was I was in the area. Great beef ribs and brisket.

Dayne's in Fort Worth makes great barbecue, but I'm not sure what their status is these days. His Instagram says Saturday Only at Lola's Trailer Park, but there are also references there to them being in transition to a new trailer and looking forward to getting back at it. Brix, also in Fort Worth, is awesome, too.

Out-of-the-way, but Terry Black's in Deep Ellum is great, and it's just down the street from Pecan Lodge. Meshack's in Garland also cranks out good 'que.

Heard lots of good things about 407. I am East so don’t make it that far. In McKinney you could go Hutchins. Fri-Sun they serve Texas Twinkies and beef ribs. Twinkies are big jalapeño stuffed with brisket, cream cheese and wrapped in bacon. I could live on those.

Your cardiologist just might have a different view about how long you can live on those.😀

My Son and Daughter in Law lived in Dallas until 2018 and we’d make it to Deep Ellum every visit. Made it to Pecan Lodge, but not Terry Black’s. Too many great places to eat in Dallas
to visit them all.

North Main BBQ in Euless
It's been years since I've been there. Back then they even had smoked bologna.

Long time Fort Worth resident here, weighing in with my humble opinions.

1) Heim BBQ - two locations, but go to the river site. (Order bacon burnt ends!, and brisket, and beef ribs, and...)
2) Coopers in the Stockyards - order by sight at the pit. Be careful, you can run up the price in a hurry.
3) Angelo's - just north of downtown. Old school barbecue joint with schooners so cold you need gloves. Still what I consider the best pork ribs in town.
4) Railhead - has gone commercial and caters more to the Friday happy hour hook-up scene. BBQ is still ok (not as good as it used to be) and the schooners are cold. It's more of a "see and be seen" vibe now.

Enjoy - lots of BBQ to be had in this town.

I’ve only been to Fort Worth one time but Heim was one of my all time favorite bbq stops. Very good bbq. Don’t know the rest but heim is definitely worth a stop

I’m just S. of Ft. Worth And I’ve never heard of half of these.........We don’t eat out a lot and when we do it’s Mexican /Tex Mex..........

Haven't tried texas Twinkies at any of the restaurants yet.

Everyone calls them something different. Hutchins has a place in Frisco but the original is where I go and is so great never really want to try the other places.

If you get a hankering for non-Q, check out Whiskey Cake. It’s all good, but make sure you get some duck wings and the Mac and Cheese.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back