View Single Post
Old 07-16-2015, 03:10 PM   #795
Devil_Inside
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cibelo View Post
My experience exactly. I have started leaving the lid off for about 15 minutes before I put the food on. The temp starts out at 330 to 340 but settles down to 275-290 and it will hold there for aa couple of hours before starting to drop. When it gets to around 240 I put a paper clip under the lid or just crack it until the temp comes back up then the cycle starts all over again. I have found that the intake does not do much and I run it antwhere from 1/2 and 1/4 at sea level. All cooks have taken at least an hour longer than video times. The PBC turns out some really good tasting BBQ but it hasn't been set it and forget it for me. I like it though, it's a great cooker.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AClarke44 View Post
I'm noticing people at sea level (or very close) are the ones having this issue. Saw the same thing in another forum too. I wonder if it has to do with humidity? Hopefully you guys will figure out a workaround. For now I just wonder if you need to open the intake more and/or Crack the lid slightly.
I am not sure if this would work. When I first got the PBC I had a big problem controlling the temperature - it would start off very hot and then it would drop like a rock, thus I cooked chicken for literally 4 hours. I reached out to Noah and he identified that I wasn't lighting the charcoal correctly - basically I was doing exactly what you are describing - waiting additional 15 minutes with the lid off to get the charcoal going, and it simply didn't work for me.

Ever since I started following "the guide" the temperature is a lot more controlled, but I am still having some issues (see my previous post).
I will try lighting a few more briquettes and leaving them in the chimney for a few more minutes and I am hoping this will help some.
Devil_Inside is offline   Reply With Quote