Brisket Rub

uds_smoker

Found some matches.
Reaction score
So I'm throwing my first brisket into my UDS and looking for a good rub recipe. I'm not into buying any pre-made rubs and would prefer concocting one myself. I got this one that I was going to try from Amazingribs.com but let me know your thoughts.

Ingredients
3 tablespoon coarsely ground black pepper
2 tablespoons table salt
1 tablespoon granulated white sugar
1 tablespoon onion powder
2 teaspoons mustard powder
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons chili or ancho powder
1 teaspoon chipotle or cayenne powder

Yea meatheads rub is great......
I use just a simple rub of
Kosher salt
black pepper
onion powder
a little garlic powder
and top with a little more salt

If concocting my own stuff for beef, I like it simple

Kosher salt
Black pepper
Onion powder
Garlic powder

My personal opinion is that of many others on this forum. If it's your first brisket go with salt and pepper. Nothing more, nothing less. Again, just my opinion. They're still some of my faaaavorite briskets to eat, but my family prefers them doctored up a bit.

What I usually end up doing for them is some salt, pepper, onion and garlic powder, with some red pepper thrown in for a kick. I put the same ingredients into some beef stock and inject it as well.

meatheads rub is good, I like it on pork and chicken but like the others said I would use S&P for brisket

Thanks for the input all, think I'll stick to a plain rub to begin with. What sauces would you recommend post cook? I fancied a nice Heinz BBQ honey sauce? bearing in mind I'm on the 'other side of the pond' so we don't get many of the sauces you guys get

I like Sweet on Pork - Spicy and/ or Tangy on Beef.

Sweet Baby Rays on Pork and Stubbs on Beef. KC Masterpiece Original is OK on Beef. I thin them all.

I love meathead's rub for beef. I use it on brisket, beef ribs, tri tip, etc etc. haven't really found anything beef related I didn't like it on. I tried it without the sugar, couldn't really tell a difference. It's a pretty bold rub flavor wise, so any sweetness is lost under the pepper, ancho, chipotle and mustard.

Sounds good...
I do Kosher Salt, Coarse Ground Pepper, Onion Pwder, Garlic Powder, and Chipotle Chilli Powder.

As an after sauce, I find mustard sauces to be real good with Brisket.

A simple one is:

1/2 c yellow mustard
1/4 c spicy brown mustard
2 tsp worchestershire
2 tbls Dark brown sugar
3/4 c apple cider vinegar
2 tsp sea salt
2 tbls fresh ground pepper
1 1/2 tbls butter
2 tsp molasses
2 tsp hot sauce

I bring this to just under a boil and stir it continually.

Also I've found it more to my taste to not use the hot sauce and use a nice brown mustard instead of the spicy one.

Equal amounts by weight kosher salt, med grind black peppa, 1/2 the weight MrsDash Lemon peppa.

I think that rub will work great, but I too would leave the sugar out. I'd probably cut the amount of salt in half as well, but I'm into low salt, low (to no) sugar rubs. Nobody ever asks me why there isn't enough salt and sugar in my rub.

If you can fresh grind your own pepper, I find this makes a huge difference.

On my briskets I like like just equal parts of kosher salt,coarse black pepper,onion powder and garlic powder.SPOG. Simple but great taste.

I tried every combo and they all come out great, even with a layer of brown sugar, I thought that would make it taste like pork ham however never was able to taste the sweetness...brisket just cant be beat..even great naked..with just pure smokey beef flavor...I just feel the spices never reach the inside and going naked proved it.

You're welcome.
Like I said, to me it's a nice after sauce. I mean to use it on the side, not coat the meat with it.
I've made it several times and a lot of people really enjoy it.\

Good luck

Back