New smoker seasoning overload

Rat_Salad

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Scouring forum and I have found so much conflicting information on seasoning and many discussions were about WSM and UDS.

I have a Chubby on its way.. I have consolidated everything into one list.. Is this too much??

(Avoided the discussion about oil vs lard here by refering to it as LUBE)

Step 1
Heat with no water or lube at 350 for an hour (charcoal)
-Water Pan in
-Heat Diverter in
-Racks in

Step 2
Let Box cool

Step 3
a. Hand Lube inside of box(spray lube where you cant hand/brush lube)
b. Spray Lube other areas
-Racks
-Water Pan
-Heat Diverter
-Inside of firebox

Step 4
Heat to 325 3 hours no water (charcoal and some wood)
-Water Pan in
-Heat Diverter in
-Racks in

Done

For my Party I just sprayed the heck out of everything inside the cook chamber including racks and water pan with a vegetable oil spray (PAM). I cranked the temp up to 350 and let an entire charcoal basket burn out.

the reason for the dry burn (step 1 2 ) is to burn off any manufacturing oils before you season it

not sure how much that matters, but how I always do it is get a good hot fire in it dry, then let it cool and do again with lube

just steps 3 and 4 extra lube.. will melt and run out.. lol
^ this works fine, at least on our stickburners; I don't see what #1 & #2 get you and at step #3 I'm not sure I would LUBE the inside of your firebox? I agree that any food grade LUBE will work fine, I use peanut oil and/or pam but that is just me.

the reason for the dry burn (step 1 2 ) is to burn off any manufacturing oils before you season it

not sure how much that matters, but how I always do it is get a good hot fire in it dry, then let it cool and do again with lube

I would hit a new pit with a Weedburner to burn off any manufacturing oils.. or impurities.. then steps 3 and 4..

...or you can get it good and hot for a while to burn off any nasties then toss on a few fatties and some chicken...

I bought an empty spray bottle at my grocery store and filled it with oil and used that to spray the inside of my smoker. I didn't want to use PAM as there are some additives other than oil. That might not bother some, but I wanted pure oil.

Back