Price for Prime Beef Arm

chambersuac

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Talking to the new butcher at our local grocery today. He was telling me that since they can't compete with Walmart, he insists on getting good meat (non-enhanced, fresh stuff) no lower than Choice. He then told me sometimes they ship him Prime on accident. I jokingly said, "Save that for me". He told me he had a whole Prime arm that just came in. He told me if I bought the whole arm, I could have it for $3.29/lb. I asked to see it. It is beautiful, with a bit of the brisket still attached. I had him put it aside, since I can't pay for it today.

Am I getting a good price? I think I am - I hope so, too - as I commited to buy it already. Did I goof?

I didn't even know they had arms? I thought they were just 4 legged. LOL

Sounds like a good price for prime anything to me. :thumb:

That sounds like the average price for a primal cut of beef. Most butchers around here charge about that if you were to buy a whole side of beef. If it is prime, I'd say you were getting a decent price. Does this include the whole clod also?

That sounds like the average price for a primal cut of beef. Most butchers around here charge about that if you were to buy a whole side of beef. If it is prime, I'd say you were getting a decent price. Does this include the whole clod also?

Sorry to say, but I have no idea...I wouldn't know a clod if you slapped me in the face with it. Although, if it were smoked and served on a plate, I'd eat it :)

A shoulder clod is also known as a steamship round. It's basically the whole shoulder from the blade, chuck (boston butt of beef) all the way to what would be the picnic on a pig. Usually weighs around 25 lbs or more. It makes great pulled beef!!!

From what I can gather from IMPS and cutting guides, the arm roast is a part of the clod, with the clod including the upper leg joint and part of the shoulder, whereas, the arm roast is the lower portion of the clod, with a round bone minus the shoulder joint. Technically, it is not a part of the chuck, it is just below the chuck. Functionally, it is still gonna be good BBQ meat.

I think any beef that is Prime grade at $3.29 a pound is a good deal, even if you count the loss to bone weight.

Back