Counterweight Question (Lonestar Offset)

93_confirmed

Take a breath!
Reaction score
After alot of research and mulling over, Im finally ready to pull the trigger on the LSG 24x40 offset and have everything ironed out except the counterweight. LSG said the door is about 50lbs. I hate the look of the weights and am already paying $850 to ship to NJ so I would prefer to keep the extra $200 for the counter. How critical is the counterweight for this size smoker and for someone reasonably fit?

https://lonestargrillz.com/collections/smokers/products/24-x-40-offset-smoker

If you can lift 50# over your head with one hand you will be fine

A quick word of wisdom..... This might (just might) be the last smoker you'll need to buy. The single door 24x40 is a beast if you have a wonky shoulder. I visited them and tried both versions. It was an easy decision to get it. In fact, I added about 15 pounds of lead shot in the tube chamber to make it even easier. But that's what we over-the-hill guys do. My advice.... get it now.

For reference......

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=4075048&postcount=57

Seems like some good advice here. Even if you are physically fine now, you would hate to be selling off your "last" smoker just a few years from now because an unforeseen rotator cuff surgery has found its way onto the agenda. Those kind of physical breakdowns are hard to imagine . . . until they happen. In the bigger picture it is probably relatively cheap insurance.

Those are good points about future proofing the purchase. Im officially over the hill so the aches and pains will start creeping in.

There's other systems which can be used to offset the weight of the doors. I've seen quite a few people use a spring system, and I've seen pneumatic systems as well. Both will help with the weight of the door and won't weight anywhere near as much as a heavy counterweight.

If you deadset on the counterweight you might also want to forego it right now, and if it becomes necessary take it to a local welder / fabricator. This way you're not paying for the extra dimensions in the shipping process.

I am just throwing this out there because honestly I don’t know. But is there a way for Lone Star to make the counter weight detachable? Thinking bolt it on if and when the time comes that you need or want it.

There's other systems which can be used to offset the weight of the doors. I've seen quite a few people use a spring system, and I've seen pneumatic systems as well. Both will help with the weight of the door and won't weight anywhere near as much as a heavy counterweight.

If you deadset on the counterweight you might also want to forego it right now, and if it becomes necessary take it to a local welder / fabricator. This way you're not paying for the extra dimensions in the shipping process.

I just put the phone order in and skipped it. If I reach a point where the door is too heavy Ill figure out an aftermarket solution.

On a related note, shipping ended up being $520 rather than the $851 quote I got on their website so that's a nice win.

I went to their shop and put my hands on all of their smokers. This was one of the reasons I didn't go with the 24x40 or the taller wheels. I could really feel the weight in my shoulder. I ended up going 20x42 and standard sized 5" wheels. Unless you are a really tall guy or just a bruiser in general I suspect you'll want the counterweight.

Congrats on new purchase!!

I prefer the counterweight. I had one on my former Klose and have one on my Shirley. Easy one-handed operation.

David

I have a 20 X 40 Old Country Brazos. It does not have a counter weight but I wish it did. And OC now makes a Brazos with a counter weight.

Thanks for all the comments. After sleeping on the order for the 24x40, Im starting to consider a switch to the 20x42 model so the counterweight wouldnt be an issue. Im not crazy about the design on the 20 but it has everything the 24 has, no tuning plates to hassle with, better table and would save me about a grand. Ill probably never need the capacity in all honestly. Im torn and have been reading through old threads about these models. Someone convince me one way or the other.

I own a 20x36 LSG.
My search started much like yours. I really wanted the 24x36. Thats pretty much what I was set on but after having a heart to heart with myself I conceded the 24" was A) more smoker than I actually needed and B) was more than I really wanted to spend.

While I never owned a 24" I have had the 20" for about 2 years now and it has done everything I've asked of it and I don't feel like I missed out on anything choosing the 20" over the 24". Only thing I may have done different... is for the extra $100 I should have bought the 20x42 but honestly I have yet to run into a space limitation issue even with the 36".

The 20" series are awesome pits. Once the fire management basket was added (The basket should be standard in my opinion) it has become so ridiculously easy and predictable to run. I have zero regrets on choosing the 20"

But to your original question... If I were ordering the 24"x40" I would definitely get the counter weight.

Thanks for all the comments. After sleeping on the order for the 24x40, Im starting to consider a switch to the 20x42 model so the counterweight wouldnt be an issue. Im not crazy about the design on the 20 but it has everything the 24 has, no tuning plates to hassle with, better table and would save me about a grand. Ill probably never need the capacity in all honestly. Im torn and have been reading through old threads about these models. Someone convince me one way or the other.

I was in the exact same position as you when I purchased my offset. Here are some points to think about in no particular order. Only you can decide what makes the most sense for you!

1) 24x40 looks cooler plain and simple.
2) 24x40 requires a counterweight (in my mind)
3) 24x40 costs over $1k more
4) 24x40 has larger fire box side cooking surface area
4) 20x42 is simpler to operate with no tuning plates
5) 20x42 is easier to clean with no tuning plates
6) 20x42 is smaller but unless doing a LOT of bbq it's plenty big
7) 20x42 requires slightly smaller splits. I usually cut my logs in half, may not half to as often with larger firebox.
8) 20x42 has much nicer table
9) 20x42 will heat up a bit quicker and require less wood to maintain (I wouldn't let this factor alone sway me)
11) 24x40 may have a bit more space above the upper rack.

Whichever one you go with, do yourself a favor and buy the fire management basket. As Speeed noted, it makes life SO much easier.

I own a 20x36 LSG.
My search started much like yours. I really wanted the 24x36. Thats pretty much what I was set on but after having a heart to heart with myself I conceded the 24" was A) more smoker than I actually needed and B) was more than I really wanted to spend.

That's exactly my thinking but I have the free cash to drop and want to future proof the purchase as well. Its a tough call.

I was in the exact same position as you when I purchased my offset. Here are some points to think about in no particular order. Only you can decide what makes the most sense for you!

1) 24x40 looks cooler plain and simple.
2) 24x40 requires a counterweight (in my mind)
3) 24x40 costs over $1k more
4) 24x40 has larger fire box side cooking surface area
4) 20x42 is simpler to operate with no tuning plates
5) 20x42 is easier to clean with no tuning plates
6) 20x42 is smaller but unless doing a LOT of bbq it's plenty big
7) 20x42 requires slightly smaller splits. I usually cut my logs in half, may not half to as often with larger firebox.
8) 20x42 has much nicer table
9) 20x42 will heat up a bit quicker and require less wood to maintain (I wouldn't let this factor alone sway me)
11) 24x40 may have a bit more space above the upper rack.

Whichever one you go with, do yourself a favor and buy the fire management basket. As Speeed noted, it makes life SO much easier.

I wrote out a pros and cons list for each and have considered most of those points. Im square on the fence - I know that the 20x42 is what I should buy but I want the 24x40. At least I have about 12 weeks to mull it over before production. :-D

Don't make a decision that will always leave you wondering. You honestly can't go wrong with either smoker so do what your heart tells ya!

Buy once; cry once.

I wish I had opted for some features on my Battle Box, but at the time I decided I didn't wanna spend more. The time to make that decision is now because it's more expensive if you have to do it again lol. Looks like it's not a bad idea to splurge on according to these folks!

Best of luck on your choice

I own a Horizon 24X48 so here's my$.02 if you are still undecided.

Go 24" inch pipe. No question. Always go bigger than you think you'll need.
Get the counterweight. No question. My Firebox is 24" X24" round, grill firebox and it is a heave to lift.

Are you close to an Academy store? If so, go put your hands on an Old Country Brazos smoker. I believe it is 20 X 40 and feels like 1/4" pipe. No counterweight and that door is a beast. I can't image dealing with that as I get older. My Horizon has a big counterweight so the door us a breeze to lift.

Good luck.

Sent from my KFMAWI using Tapatalk

Back