• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Day Trip to Amarillo, TX

ShadowDriver

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Just walked through the door after an enjoyable outing to Amarillo, TX.

With all of the hub-bub about Tyler's Barbeque in Amarillo, we decided it would be worth the drive up that way to poke around a bit.

Managed to get our monkey changed, fed, and all of us in the car by about 0845 (about 15 min later than planned, but that's a full 20 min early by my MIL's standards :shock: :tape:). Sorry. Got distracted for a sec. That put us in Tyler's parking lot just about 15 minutes after opening time. Despite this being a Thursday, I figured there'd be a wait or a line, but we eased through the door and straight up to almost the head of the line.

Tyler's got a pretty good menu selection, and a solid following in the local area. Shoot, he MUST if he made it on the list of Top 50 TX BBQ Joints! That said, our family of 3 split the 4-meat platter (sliced brisket, pulled pork, sliced chicken, and jalapeño-cheddar sausage) with "regular" mac & cheese (it's Thursday, so we HAD get the m&c) and beans. I really should've snapped a photo while we were there, but our 2 yr-old had other ideas.

The brisket was excellent: moist, tender, flavorful. The jalapeño-cheddar sausage was wonderful: excellent snap of the casing (even after slicing), moist, a little spicy, but the cheese bits just melted that heat away. The chicken started off very moist and tender, but quickly dried out while we were eating. Unfortunately, the pulled pork was dry from the start - I think it was held a bit long or not enough meat juices returned after the pull/chopping process.

There's no question why Thursday's mac & cheese day is so popular at Tyler's. Next time, I really must try their green chile or bacon m&c... as I'm sure they would take the dish to new heights. The beans were okay... but... they seemed like they were there to just play "filler" vs. provide another flavor avenue. Oh well.

If you like sweet sauces, this place is for YOU. Their "regular sauce" is dark and sweet with a little vinegary twang behind it. The "Red Panther Hot BBQ Sauce" is still a little too sweet for my taste, but there's a touch of fire and a bit more twang involved.

I returned to the counter to get another round of Arnold Palmer during a lull in service. Next thing I know, I'm just chit-chatting with Tyler, himself. He's honestly interested in what we thought of the food, and we meander through subjects such as his Oyler-type smoker (w/o the carousel), the "interesting" BBQ offerings in NE New Mexico and NW Texas, and other such nonsense. He's personable, and he asked me about my smoking experiences and how I got started... Pffft... didn't expect that. Bottom Line - Tyler's a good guy who cares about his food and his customers. Go visit. You won't be sorry.

While out on the road, we visited Tri's Marketplace - If you need spices (larger quantities for much better prices than your average grocery) or are interested in a variety of Asian, Indian, and Latino cuisines, you really need to check this place out. Bring a cooler, as their fresh and frozen seafood offerings are excellent. I also managed to find the exact noodles I used to purchase in Okinawa for TanTanMen (well, damn... I'd forgotten about PhotoBucket hosing us. The recipe is still excellent and I'll see if I can't go back and update the photos in the near future). Yes, I got the noodles, and the Japanese spices, and I can't wait to whip up another batch of TanTanMen at our first opportunity!

No trip up to Amarillo would be complete without a stop at Ede's Meats in Canyon, TX. While just a grab and go, we managed to snag some green chile breakfast sausage (in fatty form) and some German bratwursts. Oh, I can't wait to get either (or both) out and rocking in the kitchen soon.

If someone has other spots we missed or other suggestions, we're all ears.

Kind regards,
Shadow

Back