View Single Post
Old 11-10-2005, 05:50 PM   #31
kcpellethead
Full Fledged Farker

I did not read every response here. I tried to, but damn you guys are serious about this topic (read – long winded), so forgive me if I duplicate somebody else’s answers or ideas. I’m excited that this topic has created such interest and discussion, because I believe it’s all about making competition barbecue better.

First off, every situation is unique. A couple things that make Phil’s experience different from others is wearing a logo that is common to a couple teams and prepping & cooking in a contest site. I realize it wasn’t either team’s actual logo, but two teams where flying these logos. I am a firm believer that perception is greater than reality. As cooks, we understand that judges make friends with teams. It happens quite frequently. It’s become common to see some judges out on Friday evening enjoying the camaraderie of the cook teams.

If a judge decides to hangout with one team on Friday night, they should use their best discretion in deciding when it might not be appropriate to be there. For example, when the team is prepping meat or putting meat on the cookers. It goes without saying that judges should not be involved in prepping or cooking in a team’s space. However innocent, if a team unfamiliar to the situation saw Phil prepping ribs on Friday night in a contest site and entering the judging tent on Saturday, I can see where they might express some concern.

For those of us that don’t feel a judge in our camp on Friday evening is a problem, would it be different if it were three judges? How about six judges or even a dozen judges? If your answer is “yes,” you should probably rethink your opinion on a single judge in your spot. We should all use our best judgment in these situations and try to see these situations in the eyes of an outsider.

Great dialogue!

If I do everything half ass, how can I be a "full fledged" anything?
kcpellethead is offline   Reply With Quote