• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

New $500 Budget Starter Offset

doubt3

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I have enjoyed cooking on my kamado but wanted to try an offset smoker. I wanted to stay around $500 and hopefully have it last 4-5 years at which point my youngest will be out of college and then I would be willing to spend several thousand (if I enjoy this type of smoker). From reading several threads, I knew I wanted to make some mods from the start so I decided on the smaller (18") Oklahoma Joe Highland. I found it at Lowes for 10% off a couple of weeks ago, so I paid $293 with tax. I ordered a baffle plate for $90 and a coal basket for $74. The nomex tape (1/2 " and 1"), aluminum vent, aluminum tape, and RTV cost $53. My total was $510 until I remembered I needed a cover which I found for $36. Grand total: $546. The wife was happy I was within 10% over budget.

20151004_103051_zpspbjf1cvj.jpg

Congrats! Looking forward to hearing how it pans out for you - I'm itching to find an offset myself...

Mod pics:

1" nomex tape between fire box halves:
20151002_165758_zpsrudzoul0.jpg

1" nomex tape between fire box and smoke chamber:
20151002_171629_zpssgfcm2ej.jpg

Nomex sealing all of the bolt holes:
20151002_174658_zpsqd1goajp.jpg

20151002_180554_zpsoke9wss8.jpg

Aluminum tape on the smokestack for a snugger fit:
f0c528fa-505b-413a-9ebf-f8ae10116e15_zpshtr14z9r.jpg

20151002_181616_zpsfv77lwsb.jpg

Vent to lower smokestack intake sealed with RTV:
20151003_094451_zpswhl9ixly.jpg

1/2" nomex tape on smoke chamber lid as well as fire box lid:
20151003_100121_zpsjsur1we9.jpg

Baffle plate installed:
20151003_110239_zpsknfsptyp.jpg

Coal box doesn't arrive until tomorrow.

looks good

On my OK longhorn, I found that it drafted better without the vent ducting.

Stale air builds up in the upper part of the chamber and has no place to exit

I bought a OK Joe Longhorn a few weeks ago and also modded it a bit. It has been great.

JM2C Loose the stack extension & the coal basket so the pit can breath or your gonna be fightin & cussin it. Burn all wood. Good luck.

those plates are nice, wonder if they would fit a Brinkmann trail master... I use cookie sheets now.

those plates are nice, wonder if they would fit a Brinkmann trail master... I use cookie sheets now.

They have several plates available for specific smokers and I recall seeing Brinkmann listed. Came from bbqsmokermods.com.

I recently sold my offset. Patio no longer screams Texas Q. Sad- but it went to a better place

I'd of saved the $74 and whatever the exhaust ext cost.............

Crazy talk here......but you would think the manufactures would want to send these out ready to go without having to do a bunch of mods. I guess you gave to spend $1,500.00 and up to get a turn key smoker.

Crazy talk here......but you would think the manufactures would want to send these out ready to go without having to do a bunch of mods. I guess you gave to spend $1,500.00 and up to get a turn key smoker.

you can use it the way it comes

I did for quite a while. it worked fine

just wanted to make it better

all I did to mine was add tuning plates, not all that other stuff

On my Chargriller outlaw, the stack extension works wonderfully and my pit still drafts well.
So, I'd say try it and see if it works for you.

Nice clean work!

you can use it the way it comes

I did for quite a while. it worked fine

just wanted to make it better

all I did to mine was add tuning plates, not all that other stuff
I guess my point was that they should seal these better for what they are pricing these at. $300-500 dollars isn't chump change for most of us.

A few short months ago I would not have found myself so envious of this shiny new offset, but here we are. Looks like it will be a blast to cook on.

Back