How hot can you cook Spare Ribs?

Pa_BBQ

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
On the 4th I need to cook Ribs & Chicken and although I have had pretty good luck cooking both at 275, I would like to cook hotter.
This would give me a quicker turn out of product, plus crispier chicken.

I will practice this before, but looking for some advice before I practice.

I do have some cooler spots on my Meadow Creek TS120, so can probably get a 25-45 degree difference.

If I cook the chicken side at 350, and rib side between 300-325 and used a 2-1-1/2 method would I be in the ball park?

I can carry a separate cooker, but really want to keep it simple.

I don't know how many folks you're cooking for, but man you have an arsenal of weapons in your signature.

If I had those tools, I'd cook the chix in the eggs, and do the ribs in the wsm's. 350+ in eggs for chix, and 275-325 for ribs in the wsm(s). Or 275-325 for the ribs in the Meadow Creek.

Chix parts or wholes should be done in 1.25-1.5 hours or so at those temps. Ribs should be done in 3.5- 4 hours at those temps in the WSM or MC. (assuming SLS spares and not BBs). Baby backs will be done closer to 3 hours at those temps.

I don't know how many folks you're cooking for, but man you have an arsenal of weapons in your signature.

If I had those tools, I'd cook the chix in the eggs, and do the ribs in the wsm's. 350+ in eggs for chix, and 275-325 for ribs in the wsm(s). Or 275-325 for the ribs in the Meadow Creek.

Chix parts or wholes should be done in 1.25-1.5 hours or so at those temps. Ribs should be done in 3.5- 4 hours at those temps in the WSM or MC. (assuming SLS spares and not BBs). Baby backs will be done closer to 3 hours at those temps.

LOl I forgot to mention the FEC100. Man, you have all of those weapons, there should be no problem getting it done one way or the other.

LOl I forgot to mention the FEC100. Man, you have all of those weapons, there should be no problem getting it done one way or the other.

Plan on cooking 64 half chickens the 3rd and 64 half chickens and 2 cases of Ribs on the 4th along with 4 cases of Pork Shoulder. (I sure hope I am busy)

If I were cooking here I would be using them all, but I am at an event on July 3 3-11 serving pulled pork and chicken halves, and a different even July 4 3-11 serving Ribs, Chicken and Pulled Pork. So I have to pull my mobile trailer so I have the sinks and a food prep area.

I am cooking the Pulled Pork ahead of time, but everything else will be cooked there.

My only concern would be the ribs getting over cooked and end up falling off the bone. A lot of people may like that but they could be hard to handle if they are too tender.

Oddly enough, I experimented with some baby backs last night in the oven just to check what high temps would do. They'd been in the fridge for a few nights with Simply Marvelous Cherry rub. Cooked them partially foiled (Top exposed) on a cooling rack in a cookie sheet. 350 for about an hour, sauced then covered and cranked up to 400 for another 30~40 minutes. Not que (And not spares), but they came out moist and tender and were pretty good. The rub did not burn but did carmalize quite nicely.

So I think you should get pretty good and tasty results at 300~325 and your cooking time will be shortened quite a bit.

Back