Lone Star Grillz Vertical Insulated Cabinet Smoker-For the new Owner

Big, I was just about to ask Terry the same thing.
I grew up on mesquite and it is all I use on red meat, but I see that it is not very well received on this forum.
I have tried the lighter woods, but mesquite with brisket, beef ribs, steaks, etc. is just the go to in my house.
So, I am curios as well how was the smoke?

Good deal...

Seeing as how beef is the hardest to get smoke into, that I have seen, I think I will try a brisket with all Mesquite when I get my new smoker and see if that can satisfy my heavy smoke flavor taste.

Terry, I have found that if you can remove the bark from the mesquite it is not quiet as strong.
I don't mess with it on the LSG, but I have observed the smoke isn't as strong, and I believe the bark is where the bitterness of mesquite comes from.
I could be wrong here, it could be too many beers speaking at the end of my cooks? HA! :crazy:

Heh, I am not even sure if there was bark on the wood chunks or not. I'll take a look next time. Like I said, it wasn't bad, just more smoke than I prefer. A couple less chunks each and spread them out a little more, and It'll be better...

Last edited:
Good deal...

Seeing as how beef is the hardest to get smoke into, that I have seen, I think I will try a brisket with all Mesquite when I get my new smoker and see if that can satisfy my heavy smoke flavor taste.

Mesquite is really good on beef. It's just hard to find in our state. You can get some pretty heavy smoke flavor from hickory in the LSG cabinet if you go 50/50 chunks to charcoal..

Mesquite is really good on beef. It's just hard to find in our state. You can get some pretty heavy smoke flavor from hickory in the LSG cabinet if you go 50/50 chunks to charcoal..

Cheez,

Is your mix a true 50/50? I struggling with smoke. I lay down a layer of charcoal then a layer of wood then another layer of charcoal. Does that sound about right?

It would be for reference only not a rule. At this point there is nothing at all. Also when you do a video you can state how big something is. People do it here.

When you are selling multi thousand dollar smokers a few hundred bucks here or there would do wonders for sales.

I'm sure you could right it off, and give the product to a food bank or homeless shelter or have a cook for vets etc.

I don't know, but some builders have a ton of action videos others not so much. To me the more you can show a potential buyer the better off you will be. Some don't care others do.

I'd like to see them because I can't touch or see one in person. Video is one avenue that would help people that are not able to see them in person.

If you dedicate one full shelf for ribs on for brisket one for butts etc it wouldn't take many videos for reference. If the builders cant spend a few hundred to make thousands then I find something wrong with that...JMO.

This post just made my eye twitch.

Here go peruse in the owner's club. It will give you a better idea. https://www.facebook.com/groups/551380464971244/

Cheez,

Is your mix a true 50/50? I struggling with smoke. I lay down a layer of charcoal then a layer of wood then another layer of charcoal. Does that sound about right?
I have not weighed it out but I put a layer of charcoal. About 10 fist sized chunks of wood. Then more charcoal and then round off the top with 10-12 more chunks.

I have also found that if I put the cold meat on when the pit is 210-220 and wait about an hour before bumping to 250 that I get more smoke flavor. Then after about another hour at 250 I kick it on up to 275-285 to finish out the rest of the cook.

Boom goes the dynamite.

I don't have a FB account. Is it closed to owners?

The Lonestar Owners and Fan Club on FB is a closed group ran by an owner not affiliated with Lone Star Grillz. You must request to join the group and get approval from admin to be added. It is a really good group and growing regularly.

Sigh...

Since I have had the cabinet, the following is similar to how I would load up the firebox. A lot of KBB, and some chunks spread out, I like cherry, so a lot of that.

A547DFEE-592D-4430-A14F-0996CB0904EB_zpsojvkk57b.jpg

Now, that has provided me a little less smoke that I want, but I am not a real smoky guy. It also has not provided me the smoke ring we all strive for. So, this last cook, I used Mesquite as suggested, along with Pecan, and all other things being fairly equal, I got the ring we all want. I did over load the wood chunks and will cut back some next time. I'd rather have no smoke ring and taste the beef more than the smoke.

67E0703F-116D-4C4D-844E-754DA18E533D_zps2eqlqet6.jpg

18D8F04E-0742-4564-A73C-D22D19761866_zps5hq6jg4e.jpg

Have any of you guys tried using lump instead? I hate briquettes with a passion. I can't stand the smell of them. Are you able to use natural lump in the Lone Star instead of briquettes with good results?

Have any of you guys tried using lump instead? I hate briquettes with a passion. I can't stand the smell of them. Are you able to use natural lump in the Lone Star instead of briquettes with good results?

I will only be using Lump.
Not a fan of briquettes either.

I don't see why it'd be an issue, but some say it burns hotter from what I read.
So temps my climb a bit.

I will only be using Lump.
Not a fan of briquettes either.

I don't see why it'd be an issue, but some say it burns hotter from what I read.
So temps my climb a bit.

I would think you would have to use a maze and you would have to be more careful about how much lump you light. A quarter of a chimney started full of lump would be equal to half a chimney full of briquettes. I would also think you would have to close down damper more with lump to keep the temperature under control.

No one will ever twist my arm into using briquettes no matter how hard they try.

I would think you would have to use a maze and you would have to be more careful about how much lump you light. A quarter of a chimney started full of lump would be equal to half a chimney full of briquettes.

No one will ever twist my arm into using briquettes no matter how hard they try.

Yeah I ordered the T-plates, so that's what I'll do. Plus light a smaller section of lump to start.

Back