Lone Star Grillz Vertical Insulated Cabinet Smoker-For the new Owner

Big Swole has my dream unit on order, I see. I think I'm supposed to hate you now. Not sure on that part.

LOLOLOL

It's only money Bro.... You can't take it with ya.

But technically you can take the awesome barbecue you will eat after cooking on it with you, because it will always be a part of you :)

Order it!!!

Hey Burnt to a T..

The folding stainless steel side tables are welded on to the cabinet, so they aren't something that would be easily added after the unit was built and painted..

I don't have an lsg but I used self tapping screws to add a folding after market shelf to my insulated cabinet. I'm sure it's not as solid as welded though.

I think I will just go for the cart , and add a stand alone SS prep table for the other side.

I asked Chris if he could make a larger table top cart, and he said he couldn't. I would like to have 30" to 36" of prep space. I wonder who will be the first to order two carts.

How hot does the smoker get on the outside of the cabinet? Top, and sides?

I will bed cooking 100#s of butts and hopefully a brisket on Tuesday. The pork will be panned when time to wrap. I'll post some pictures if it would help. I think for the modest increase in price, you can't go wrong with the big one.

Thanks for the info, but I'm looking for real world specifics.

Do you have more usable space per rack if you only have 4 racks in the standard vs 7 in the mini. I'm talking complete cooks with appetizers, sides, and meat together. I know the spacing for butts, and brisket will matter ribs not as much.

1 rack in each model will always have 6.75 inches in between for standard size pans. One holds two per the other one per. Once you go past 4 racks you lose that spacing unless you use half sized pans.

I'm just looking for what each one will hold what as far as large cooks if it ever happens. both will work for smaller cooks, and the Mini would be my choice if that was the only scenario.

I was told I might run into trouble with a Mini if I load it with appetizers, beans, mac cheese, and the meat for a larger cook.

Then I have some telling me to just use the oven if space is an issue in the Mini. What If I want them smoked?

I just need group size then I know what large is, and If I will ever cook for that size.

My issue is I don't know if I will or wont need the room of a standard. My Budget, and a few other factors I've asked about are still not being answered by owners of each size. Mostly size of groups, and what I can max out at per cook with what cooked.

Like above the space of equal sq inches does one have a more usable advantage. Example cooking ribs, 2 sides, and appetizers at one time. 7 shelves in the mini vs 4 in the standard. About the same size sq inches, but can I get more on 4 shelves vs 7.

Chris told me I would have a longer heat up time with the standard over the mini.

The size if I never use more than 4 racks in the standard I could have got more options on the Mini. To me the standard is my option if I find I will go over capacity on the Mini.

Then the I should have gotten 5 shelves,and gotten the standard when I run into space issues with the Mini.

I'm looking for real life totals on what one can cook with larger crowds in each smoker. Then I can figure out which size is best for me.

Chris didn't want to give me totals, because people cook in different ways. Also he thinks some builders exaggerate totals, so I would rather get photos of real life cooks, and info on what folks have done. I have seen some here, and some have told me via PMs. I've got some conflicting responses as well that have me confused.

I don't care about having the biggest just to have it. I want it if needed, and I will sit here, and tell everyone I have no clue. I need your help.

Maybe if I ask it this way I will get a better handle on the size I need

If I want to cook appetizers, 2 sides, and meat for

5 -10 people
11 -20 people
21-30 people etc etc how much will each cooker do, and this takes real world cooking to know.

At what size groups will the Mini not be able to accommodate, and where will the advantage kick in for the standard, and how many racks will be needed for that to happen. If 4 that could swing me to the standard if 5 or 6, and I will never fill that then the Mini will be the one.

My main concern is with ribs, but all other meats I need to know as well.

I don't want to over buy or under buy. Not trying to over think just being diligent in my choice so I'm happy, and get the most from my purchase.

I know to some its getting old, but I'm truly looking for all your advice.

I will bed cooking 100#s of butts and hopefully a brisket on Tuesday. The pork will be panned when time to wrap. I'll post some pictures if it would help. I think for the modest increase in price, you can't go wrong with the big one.

This is one question I posed to Chris, and hope he does it. To show people what each will hold to do cooks on video to see capacities of each smoker. Fill it up with multiple items, and all the same so people can get a visual of what each will produce. Then idiots like me will know with out worry of ordering the wrong size.

This is one question I posed to Chris, and hope he does it. To show people what each will hold to do cooks on video to see capacities of each smoker. Fill it up with multiple items, and all the same so people can get a visual of what each will produce. Then idiots like me will know with out worry of ordering the wrong size.

B 2 a T,

One issue there is that some folks wrap, some don't, some cook in foil pans others don't. On top of that, all of the meat cuts come in various sizes, so no 2 cooks are going to be the same.

If Chris produced a video that showed 4 packer briskets on a rack and a customer has 5 monster 18 pounders that didn't fit, they might complain.

On top of that, it would take a small fortune in meat to completely fill a large cabinet with the various typical meats, just to make a video.

B 2 a T,

One issue there is that some folks wrap, some don't, some cook in foil pans others don't. On top of that, all of the meat cuts come in various sizes, so no 2 cooks are going to be the same.

If Chris produced a video that showed 4 packer briskets on a rack and a customer has 5 monster 18 pounders that didn't fit, they might complain.

On top of that, it would take a small fortune in meat to completely fill a large cabinet with the various typical meats, just to make a video.

It would be for reference only not a rule. At this point there is nothing at all. Also when you do a video you can state how big something is. People do it here.

When you are selling multi thousand dollar smokers a few hundred bucks here or there would do wonders for sales.

I'm sure you could right it off, and give the product to a food bank or homeless shelter or have a cook for vets etc.

I don't know, but some builders have a ton of action videos others not so much. To me the more you can show a potential buyer the better off you will be. Some don't care others do.

I'd like to see them because I can't touch or see one in person. Video is one avenue that would help people that are not able to see them in person.

If you dedicate one full shelf for ribs on for brisket one for butts etc it wouldn't take many videos for reference. If the builders cant spend a few hundred to make thousands then I find something wrong with that...JMO.

Last edited:
It would be for reference only not a rule. At this point there is nothing at all. Also when you do a video you can state how big something is. People do it here.

When you are selling multi thousand dollar smokers a few hundred bucks here or there would do wonders for sales.

I'm sure you could right it off, and give the product to a food bank or homeless shelter etc.

I don't know, but some builders have a ton of action videos others not so much. To me the more you can show a potential buyer the better off you will be. Some don't care others do.

I'd like to see them because I can't touch or see one in person. Video is one avenue that would help people that are not able to see them in person.

If you dedicate one full shelf for ribs on for brisket one for butts etc it wouldn't take many videos for reference. If the builders cant spend a few hundred to make thousands then I find something wrong with that...JMO.

There are some good posts in this thread showing some pretty full racks, they might answer some of your questions Post 1454 and post 1477 are good ones also post 1303 and 1091. 1091 shows 5 racks of ribs per cooking grate with room still behind and in front. 1477 and 1303 are Mini's the others are full size cabinets.

Last edited:
I cooked 16 butts in my standard smoker and had room to spare. I had read on each rack and could have probably fit 5 easy and 6 with some maneuvering. Search 16 butts and you should find the thread.

How many of you cook sides in the smoker vs oven, and stove? How much smoke flavor do you get if you do it in the smoker? What temps do you cook them at?

Hey SmokinGreene, Thanks for the advice on smoke ring on briskets. I got some Mesquite chunks, and kinda overloaded it with that and Pecan in with the KBB. I loaded them up when the pit was still coming up to temp and straight from the fridge. Didn't use any water, I forgot that hint. I think they turned out alright, if slightly over cooked:

4394BDEB-EA97-41E7-93FC-789134BF7DA3_zpsc9z9mjwi.jpg

Regular photo:

7A9EEE48-B3B4-418C-9E78-6FF2B547DBCC_zpsjqannxhv.jpg

With filter...

CE39D1B8-F562-41FA-A5D6-9BFA4448CC81_zpsyiguc2y3.jpg

Got the email this morning that my smoker will be ready in 7 to 10 days!!! Just enough time to do a few cooks before football season. Can't Wait!!

THoey1963

How was the smoke flavor using that much mesquite and pecan wood?

If it made it more and heavy smoke flavoring, I might have to start using Mesquite in my brisket cooks.

Big, I was just about to ask Terry the same thing.
I grew up on mesquite and it is all I use on red meat, but I see that it is not very well received on this forum.
I have tried the lighter woods, but mesquite with brisket, beef ribs, steaks, etc. is just the go to in my house.
So, I am curios as well how was the smoke?

Back