Blackberry Vines???

Q-Dat

Babbling Farker
We see alot of Blackberries growing down here this time of year. They will be dead and dry in a few months.

Anyone here ever tried smoking with them?

Are the vines solid wood or is the core that soft, spongy material? I've never used em, but if they are solid wood, I'd say they'd be just fine. Fruit bearing wood is good.

Sounds like a hassle. Can't you get suitable tree wood?

Are the vines small and thin? If so, then it may be more trouble than it's worth like Mark stated. But, if there are some thicker size stuff in the 2-3" diameter range, than it might be worth getting a few to at least try out.

Isnt it more of a weed (with great tasting fruit) than a vine?

Are the vines small and thin? If so, then it may be more trouble than it's worth like Mark stated. But, if there are some thicker size stuff in the 2-3" diameter range, than it might be worth getting a few to at least try out.

Nothing that big. I'm thinking more of using them like wood chips in a minion method.

When they are green they do have a spongy inside, but that shrivels and hardens up when they die.

Someone sent me some blackberry vines last year to try, but I haven't tried yet. I did some research online and found you can smoke with them. As in it's not toxic. Someone once asked me if they could use Elderberry to smoke and that stuff is indeed toxic. You can do blackberry. I would crunch it up and soak it like wood chips.

Couldn't hurt to try some of the dry ones now. I've used grape vines, the smaller, thinner stuff. I had to add em often as they burned up quickly, but they were worth it. Good, mild smoke. Give em a try and let us know how they turn out.

I would be interested to find out what you thought. Glad to read they're not toxic (like elderberry).

Watch out for snakes especially rattlers and copperheads.

Funny you should mention that. As I was out and about this morning I happened upon this guy.

uploadfromtaptalk1305230463782.jpg

Not sure of the real name but we always called em Salt and Pepper King Snakes.

I'm always startled when I walk up on any kind of snake and your Salt and Pepper King Snake is definitely what it looks like to me. They make great pets. I used to love to watch them tangle with Water Moccasins or Cotton Mouths and then watch them eat them. Always amazed me that they could kill and eat a poisonous snake but yet not be poisonous themselves.

I have never heard of using blackberry vine to smoke, although i have pureed the blackberries and used them in a BBQ sauce before.

i have about two pine tree rows in the middles that are full of blackberries, and I leave them alone so I can harvest the fruit for makings jams.

I have used them on things like lamb with nice results. The hedgerow at the MIL's os lined with them so after they dry and have been cut down I collect em then burn in The beast. I want to try compacting them in a makeshift bailer so they are easier to deal with. I use Kevlar gloves to protect.

It's also very nice on chicken as they burn fast and I do chicken with high heat anyway.

Back