View Single Post
Old 07-29-2021, 12:04 AM   #12
sudsandswine
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdeye View Post
When I could get shoulders, the skin was removed from the butt, but not the picnic. Let us know how this comes out. There is a new butcher shop in town and they 'claim' they can get shoulders.... but I'm not holding my breath.

Here is a recent thread where we talked about injecting.

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/s...whole+shoulder
OK, the content of your link has me feeling better about the skin on method (not to detract from the others in this thread that have recommended the same). I normally cook 300*ish give or take in my drum, so cooking with it down around 250* would definitely be some uncharted territory for me. I'm sure I could do it but it might require some fiddling on a cook that long. My other thought would be my Primo kamado, still get the fat on diffuser and coal flavor with the option for me to just hook up the Flameboss to it and let it do its thing.

My clonesaker drum runs pretty efficiently and even at 300* I dont have the intake or exhaust open that much, so if we're talking about airflow differences between a drum and kamado, in this case I'm not sure there'd be a huge difference. Could be wrong though.