• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Going to Charleston SC any must see or must eat?

Shiz-Nit

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
We are heading to Charleston SC Thursday morning for a couple days before we head over to Hilton Head Island SC for a week.

Do you all recommend any must see, do or must eats in Charleston? This will be our 1st time there.

Home Team BBQ
Lewis BBQ
Butcher & Bee
The Ordinary
Leon’s Oyster shop
Hannibal’s Kitchen
Xiao Bao Biscuit

Those are some of my favorites.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't forget Rodney Scott's & The Tattooed Moose.

If you want one of the best steaks, go to Hall's Chophouse.

Bowen's Island, too out on Folly Beach.

Had the best pulled pork I've ever eaten at Rodney Scott's, sides were not so good though. Lewis was very good all-round. Brisket was not as good as I expected, as I 'd presumably had his handiwork at LABBQ and for some reason it didn't live up to that, but still very good. Other items on the menu were excellent. We enjoyed their Mexican food truck on the patio as well -- extremely good corn chips, like what we used to get decades ago in Mexico. They researched and make them themselves from scratch -- we asked.

Had the best pulled pork I've ever eaten at Rodney Scott's, sides were not so good though. Lewis was very good all-round. Brisket was not as good as I expected, as I 'd presumably had his handiwork at LABBQ and for some reason it didn't live up to that, but still very good. Other items on the menu were excellent. We enjoyed their Mexican food truck on the patio as well -- extremely good corn chips, like what we used to get decades ago in Mexico. They researched and make them themselves from scratch -- we asked.

In the not so distant future, he's opening a brick and mortar of Juan Luis's.

The little trailer outside is going to be a Green Chile Cheeseburger stand!! :thumb:

In the not so distant future, he's opening a brick and mortar of Juan Luis's.

The little trailer outside is going to be a Green Chile Cheeseburger stand!! :thumb:

That's really nice. I do wonder how long he'll be in Charleston. He has a history of going someplace, setting up something really good (Franklin's and LABBQ come to mind) and then moving on. Maybe putting together the B&M will keep him there longer ... or convince him to stay, if you're lucky!

That's really nice. I do wonder how long he'll be in Charleston. He has a history of going someplace, setting up something really good (Franklin's and LABBQ come to mind) and then moving on. Maybe putting together the B&M will keep him there longer ... or convince him to stay, if you're lucky!

In speaking with him, he's not going anywhere except expanding statewide and maybe other places.

He also plans to open a Lewis BBQ in Greenville SC sometime in 2022.

Rodney Scott now has two locations (Charleston & Birmingham) with more on the way.

As far as things to see, I lived there for 3 years back in the late 70's. The Battlement and take the boat ride out to Fort Sumpter. Very interesting. 1st shot of the Civil War fired there. Oops, looks like I'm late to the party.

Not too late...as I am heading in September.

Any and all recomendations food and otherwise appreciated.

None of you even think of moving here. WE FULL!! :laugh:

We just SOLD about a month ago...MtP...someone local moved in so you're net negative (unless someone moved into their old place...which I'm sure didn't take long either). We took an offer two hours after hitting the market. LoL

Last edited:
As far as things to see, I lived there for 3 years back in the late 70's. The Battlement and take the boat ride out to Fort Sumpter. Very interesting. 1st shot of the Civil War fired there. Oops, looks like I'm late to the party.

The first shots of the Civil War were not fired from Fort Sumpter...they were fired AT Fort Sumpter. Sumpter was a Federal installation. Cadets from the Citadel saw it appropriate to fire that first shot.

• Thanks
Reactions: scp
Lewis' is quite a letdown...sadly. The sausage is the best I've ever tasted, but the rest...meh... The brisket is uninspiring. Given the hype, I was expecting much more.

The first shots of the Civil War were not fired from Fort Sumpter...they were fired AT Fort Sumpter. Sumpter was a Federal installation. Cadets from the Citadel saw it appropriate to fire that first shot.

I did not mention who fired 1st.

Lewis' is quite a letdown...sadly. The sausage is the best I've ever tasted, but the rest...meh... The brisket is uninspiring. Given the hype, I was expecting much more.

I've noticed the brisket can be hit and miss but for the most part, hit.

I think they go through roughly 2500 + lbs. of brisket every week. During the holidays, they double that. So, I'd say it's a hit.

Taste is subjective. How is yours? I'd try it given the chance.

Back