View Single Post
Old 12-10-2017, 03:39 PM   #14
overeasy
Knows what a fatty is.

Here is what i'm talking about.
This is BBQ_BILL on amazing ribs.com talking about the C-60 Karubecue and cooking 3 large briskets. Pretty amazing when you consider its size.

THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION IS MY OPINION, RIGHT OR WRONG, GOOD OR BAD, SO PLEASE USE YOUR OWN GOOD JUDGEMENT. IF YOU FEEL I AM WRONG IN SOMETHING THAT I SUGGEST HERE BELOW, DO IT THE WAY YOU "FEEL" IS RIGHT.
-
Starting off, the bark is built mainly by the smoke and how LONG the brisket is in that smoke.
"Good" smoke, from going through the coals and being purified, is what MOST of us want on our product.
Therefore, for customers and "non-hawked" watching of the smoke and poppets, I would go bottom poppet only on this one.
Bark and color will take longer so I would put the three dry-brined briskets into my large freezer for one hour before they go into my smoker.
From the freezer, I would spritz with Apple Cider vinegar with a FINE spray, not wash it and make it run.
Then, I would rub EVENLY including the sides with 1/16" cracked black peppercorn, press it in, and into the KBQ they would go.
I would run at 165°F for an hour, maybe a bit longer to get a little extra smoke on there.
Then, I would bump the temperature up to 230°F average.
-
I would THEN have a cold one and relax.
-
At this point, they are not bothered.
They are just gathering smoke for maybe three hours.
-
I then go in and fine mist spritz, just lightly so the smoke doesn't wash off. I also add water to the pans below.
Every hour from there I repeat.
The next important thing in my head is COLOR.
I like the central Texas style dark bark.
My customers and family also like it.
Each spritz and water pan check I look at the bark that is building.
Yeah, I am increasing my total cook time, but I start early, so I don't care.
No pressure... enjoy the cook Billy.
When my bark is nice and dark I lay out two sheets of overlapped butcher paper on my stovetop.
With my helpers, I pull one rack out of the KBQ go to the stove and using "Man Claws" (bought 'em on eBay) I transfer the brisket from that rack onto the the paper.
I spritz the brisket and the paper lightly, just like Aaron Franklin's pit master does.
I wrap tightly and it goes into the MOIST oven pre-warmed to 230°F.
After all three are lined up side by side in the oven, I take care of my KBQ, pulling the firebox off and putting it in the gravel in a safe area to cool.
I set my alarm and get some short, but well deserved sleep.
-
Alarm goes off, I pull one brisket at a time to the stovetop.
I open and probe the special spot on the flat.
I probe the flat outside that spot.
I'm comparing the tenderness of the special spot to the other areas outside that spot.
If all is still tough and equal, I spritz a touch and back it goes into the oven.
The other two get the same treatment.
THEY NEVER SEEM TO BE DONE AT THE SAME TIME.
Okay...
When they seem to be getting tender I remember the all important fact that the "Window" of doneness perfection is quite small.
If I mess up now, my flats will be dry.
SO...
THEY will suddenly be at the point of perfection, and then minutes later, that time will be gone forever for that brisket.
This was a tough lesson to learn.
-
When the special spot is still not as soft as the other areas around it, I pull it and set it on the stovetop in a cookie pan to rest.
I slide a temperature probe into that same special spot in the flat.
I heat my liquid and add it inside that wrapping.
That brisket alarm is set for 150°F.
Here is where it can get tricky.
I want all three to be at the point of almost being done and on the stovetop, resting so I can drop the moist oven temperature to 150°F.
Each brisket will hit 150°F internal and at different times.
When one drops to 150°F the probe is pulled and it goes from its rest into HOLDING in the MOIST oven at 150°F.
The next alarm to sing it's "song" signals that it is done resting and it then goes into to oven.
Number three, same deal.
-
Time for more sleep...
-
The "wake up Bill" alarm sounds for me to get up and get ready.
I shower and dress in my Cowboy outfit, complete with a nice black hat when I head out the door.
I heat water in the microwave, pour it into empty Pepsi bottles and place them in my pre-heated cooler.
Towels are then placed over the bottles.
My briskets are pulled from the oven and put in my cooler.
More towels on top.
It is closed and not opened until I open it to pull the 1st one to start slicing, weighing and selling.
-
Well, I have told it like it has happened for me.
May God be with you, and keep you.
BBQ Bill
Webber Kettle
overeasy is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from:--->