• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Spices to add to burger mixture?

I like to add some war-chester & a little bit of dehydrated onion + whatever seasoning I'm adding. SPOG, Uncle Chris's, 407BBQ or Peppered Cow.

I'm a fan of just the meat (chuck if i don't have time to make a mix,) on to the grill and then, as it starts to set, 40% salt, 40% black pepper and 20% coffee liberally applied to both sides.
For all the countless hours I've spent at the BBQ, I always say, "Damn, it's hard to beat a burger."

I have been using Woody's Cook-In Sauce as my go to for hamburgers. Sea salt, pepper, woody's and some Worcestershire. Woody's give it a great smoky/bbq flavor without the risk of burning that you would get from using a true bbq sauce. Also use Woody's to marinate my wings before smoking.

I will fourth or fifth...the the Montreal Steak Seasoning!

Also, and this may hurt some people's ears, if you use some A1 sauce mixed in, instead of worchestirshire it will have some pop. I have also mixed in spicy or dijon mustard and garlic with good results

Last edited:
I'm a fan of just the meat (chuck if i don't have time to make a mix,) on to the grill and then, as it starts to set, 40% salt, 40% black pepper and 20% coffee liberally applied to both sides.
For all the countless hours I've spent at the BBQ, I always say, "Damn, it's hard to beat a burger."

I prefer this route as well. Just the meat itself onto the grill and then some Kosher salt and black pepper during the flip. I have also been known to add a squirt or two of wooster or apply a little smear of Dale's or A1 with a brush on the flip as well.

Bob

I prefer this route as well. Just the meat itself onto the grill and then some Kosher salt and black pepper during the flip. I have also been known to add a squirt or two of wooster or apply a little smear of Dale's or A1 with a brush on the flip as well.

Bob

I forgot about Dale's. Dale's and Woody's are probably my two favorite go-to's.

More important than the spices is the meat. I have tried all different combinations and have settled on grinding 50% chuck roast and 50% brisket. I cut the meat up in one inch square strips about 5" long and mix 1lb of chuck and 1 lb of brisket together and vacuum seal it and freeze it. Then when I want some hamburgers, I pull out a package, thaw it and grind it and I have fresh ground burgers. The only seasoning I use is Cavender's.

I have to come down on the side of meat. No spices, fillings, herbs, etc.

I ran across a recipe called "Chris' Bay Area Burgers" and I've been making my burgers that way ever since. My only modification was to reduce the salt as it was really pretty salty. I do everything by weight, mainly because you always get a random amount of meat from the store. I convert the weight of the meat to grams, then multiply the following percentages by the grams of meat to get the grams of seasoninging.

Code:
Garlic (minced)		2.20%
Olive oil		2.70%
Black pepper		0.46%
Basil leaves (dry)	0.17%
salt			1.40%

Yes, even the olive oil is weighed. Throw away your measuring spoons/cups! :D Anyway, this recipe is one of the best burger recipes I've ever put in my head.

If you are looking to just add some pop to a burger, I'd suggest going with the basil above. Nobody will ever figure out what it is, but it definitely adds depth.

I ran across a recipe called "Chris' Bay Area Burgers" and I've been making my burgers that way ever since. My only modification was to reduce the salt as it was really pretty salty. I do everything by weight, mainly because you always get a random amount of meat from the store. I convert the weight of the meat to grams, then multiply the following percentages by the grams of meat to get the grams of seasoninging.

Code:
Garlic (minced)        2.20%
Olive oil        2.70%
Black pepper        0.46%
Basil leaves (dry)    0.17%
salt            1.40%
Yes, even the olive oil is weighed. Throw away your measuring spoons/cups! :D Anyway, this recipe is one of the best burger recipes I've ever put in my head.

If you are looking to just add some pop to a burger, I'd suggest going with the basil above. Nobody will ever figure out what it is, but it definitely adds depth.

A question for you and really everybody else in this thread. Are you mixing the seasonings in the burger or just on the surface of the burger? I know the OP asked about adding to the meat. Just looking for clarification.

For my burgers, usually on the surface. Otherwise it seems to taste like meat loaf, not that there's anything wrong with that.

Thanks,

Robert

Wow, I really missed this one. In the recipe I posted above, I mix the seasoning in. Try it, I promise it won't taste like meatloaf!

I used to use just S+P and Worcestershire. But, since getting a grinder and the blackstone griddle, I am constantly changing it up.
For those of you that use coffee....Instant, or ground? I think I want to try it, but need some advice. (if that's not a threadjack)

Back