Cranking Up My First UDS Build, Lid Question

LifeLongWNYer

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Hi folks, this is the new guy from western NY with another question.

Happened to be in Walmart yesterday for printer ink and I had a brainstorm of looking at the BBQ grills. Good move. They had the Weber 22" grills for $69.00. I recall that ordering the lid alone was about $45.00, plus shipping. So, I now have the lid, plus all the ancillary parts available for my first UDS.

When I got home, I measured the lid, and found that ( inside to inside, ) the lip of the lid is 22 5/8". My drum is 23" on the outside of the ring. Right now, the edge of the lid sits right on the top of the ring of the drum. I think I can bend the lip of the lid out a little and get it to over that ring fairly well. Is there any tried and true way to widen the edge of the lid a touch, other than just attacking it with a pair of pliers and working my way around it? It looks like I need to gain a bit more than 3/8" overall, so that works out to 3/16" on the edge.

.....or should I look around for a different drum. I have to believe that there isn't a lot of consistency in drum dimensions between manufacturers.

Cut the lower section( bowl) on the Weber about 2" below the bead and slip that piece into the drum your Weber lid will fit like a glove.

When that happens some people have put a steel ring around the inside of the drum. Some use the old weber bottom and cut half of it off. Fits in the uds and lid fits perfect.

Okay guys, thanks. That bending routine didn't look promising.

I might go back to Wally's after work and pick up another Weber.

Last edited:
Back