• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Looking For Advice on Smoking Whole Potatoes More Consistently

I grill them up for my wife to make her potato salad. She liked them grilled the day before, then throws them in the fridge until it's time to cut them & mix with sauce.

FWIW - Last time I did them I googled "what temp are potatoes done" and got this answer:

"210 degrees F.
Potatoes are done if tender when pierced with a fork and the internal temperature reaches 210 degrees F. Use a meat thermometer to test for doneness. You can also test for doneness by gently squeezing the middle of the potato (using a pot holder or oven mitt)."

source: https://whatscookingamerica.net/perfect-baked-potato.htm

5 hrs wow. Not disagreeing but that's a long time. I'm usually baking potatoes at 350-400, getting them done fast as possible. I'm not a fan of smokey taters so its usually the oven or wrapped.

Is the texture different or is it just a matter of convenience being the duration of the rib cook?

The texture is different, I don't know exactly how to describe it other than the starch is more broken down. On my old volunteer fire dept we made then this way, 5 hours wrapped in a roaster for fish fries. It's worth a try.

I like putting them in or near the ashes, sometimes foiled, sometimes not.
Works a dream with onions as well.

Other than that, I quite often put them in the drip pan. They always turn out great!

Spuds are better cooked over higher heat and wrapped.

Here's an interesting recipe:

Potato Bombs:

-Core a medium baking potato down the center with an apple corer, save the core. Make a big batch for guests...they rock.

-Stuff the cavity with whatever in the world you might want stuffed into a spud....use your imagination.

-Plug the holes with the reserved cores

-Wrap the spud in bacon, foil tight, and cook about 375, turning halfway through for and hour or change until done. Not an absolute measure of done, I probe for tenderness to determine that.

Does the bacon come out edible, or do you toss it? What is its texture like?

Yukon gold with olive oil and salt or rub. Right on the smoker like that. At least two hours at 250 or so. Delicious!

Back