Treat Chuck roast like brisket?

AKMIMNAK

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Putting three Chuck roasts on the wsm today for pulled beef sandwiches. Do I need to take it to 200 internal like brisket, or do you pull it sooner since it is a far more tender cut?

Can't give you an IT, I pull them when they're probe tender just like I would a Brisket. I would also encourage you to wrap them when you get the bark/color you're are looking for.

And what the heck is all that white stuff on the ground. :shocked:

Can't give you an IT, I pull them when they're probe tender just like I would a Brisket. I would also encourage you to wrap them when you get the bark/color you're are looking for.

And what the heck is all that white stuff on the ground. :shocked:

Thank you! Wrapping is a good idea. I'll do that for sure, maybe with some broth. My first time using the wsm in the snow.... We'll see how it goes! :)

I like taking mine to about 165 and then put in a pan raised on aluminum foil balls Put beer, sliced peppers and onions in the pan cover with foil and continue the cook till tender Shred the beef and put back on the grill uncovered and cook till fluid reduced Eat on a roll and enjoy You should have no problems cooking in the snow- actually it is fun

I like taking mine to about 165 and then put in a pan raised on aluminum foil balls Put beer, sliced peppers and onions in the pan cover with foil and continue the cook till tender Shred the beef and put back on the grill uncovered and cook till fluid reduced Eat on a roll and enjoy You should have no problems cooking in the snow- actually it is fun

That's definitely my idea of a chuck roast good time. :-D

Just needs a little horseradish sauce for finish. :-D

Here is what I do:

Smoke at 275-325 for ~3 hours. When the IT hits ~140, wrap in a pan with a can of beef broth. Cook ~ 3 more hours to an IT of 210+. It will be fork tender at this point where you can pull it like pulled pork. Take off pit and rest it. Pour all of the juice in a fat separator. Then pull the chuck roast for pulled beef sandwiches. Pour the separated juices over the pulled beef.

Make Horseradish Cream Sauce. Beaver brand is excellent.
Mix a 4 oz bottle of Beaver Brand Deli Horseradish Sauce with 8 oz of mayo.

Make some caramelized onions.

Put pulled beef, bbq sauce of your choice, horseradish sauce, and caramelized onions on a bun.

Excellent.

I've tried cooking it like brisket...wrapped in bp after bark set and pulled when tender. It ended up being a very dry piece of meat. I now pan with broth or liquid of some sort after the bark sets.

That cart shows DEDICATION! Hope everything was delicious!

SOMEHOW, I MISSED the build thread - 4x4's, galvanized pipe handle... big wheels.....

Maybe he'll do a video pulling thst wsm all over dat yard? :)

Too cold for the LSG?

Here is what I do:

Smoke at 275-325 for ~3 hours. When the IT hits ~140, wrap in a pan with a can of beef broth. Cook ~ 3 more hours to an IT of 210+. It will be fork tender at this point where you can pull it like pulled pork. Take off pit and rest it. Pour all of the juice in a fat separator. Then pull the chuck roast for pulled beef sandwiches. Pour the separated juices over the pulled beef.

Make Horseradish Cream Sauce. Beaver brand is excellent.
Mix a 4 oz bottle of Beaver Brand Deli Horseradish Sauce with 8 oz of mayo.

Make some caramelized onions.

Put pulled beef, bbq sauce of your choice, horseradish sauce, and caramelized onions on a bun.

Excellent.

That sounds AWESOME.

Must've been soooo good it put ya into a meat coma..

Spoken like a true Pennsylvanian. :grin:

Back