the way of the brisket

brisket off the pellet grill was good. some liked the crisper unwrapped bark to my normal bark. I didn't.

I'm with ya. I almost always regret not wrapping. Theres been an outlier here or there but with few exceptions I've always preferred wrapping in some manner. I've resolved to not not-wrap again, but I know I will at some point. And then I'll regret it :becky:

I'm with ya. I almost always regret not wrapping. Theres been an outlier here or there but with few exceptions I've always preferred wrapping in some manner. I've resolved to not not-wrap again, but I know I will at some point. And then I'll regret it :becky:

yea it wasn't my thing. our friend said she did not like the different textures (for the record I find texture phobes weird). Becky liked the hard bark more but noticed I was out of black ops. everyone else just shut up and ate.

I too shall resolve to not-not wrap anymore.......until I do

it was mild. no major difference from the stick burner when I burn a clean fire. I dont care for a heavy smoke profile. I used lumberjack 100% hickory pellets.

I liked it. I'd do it again. pellets are not for everybody

I suspect one will be in my future as well. I just have to get My Favorite Redhead on board. :biggrin1:

I had a feeling this would end up this way. The amount of air circulating in a pellet cooker can really make a difference. I spritz and wrap now. Big difference. I THINK the smoke flavor is a bit more due to the spritz(smoke sticking and such) but it might be all in my head.

Oak and Cherry mixed is a fave for briskies.

I like your process! I love using my trimmings to make awesome burgers. Can't lose.:clap2:

I started wrapping briskets and am never going back, both on the pellet grill and offset, it's just what I like best. On my Traeger I always try to position the big cuts so they are not directly above the fire pot.

Looks very, very tasty indeed.

Coming from a background where pork (and sometimes chicken) is the flesh of "Q," and beef is for the grill, I've never attempted a brisket. Hanging around here has made me want to remedy that, but I need a few more cooks on the PBC before I dive into that particular pool, I think.

Ninja, considering your first point, I agree there is something about the brisket. It's my favorite thing to cook even though it's one of the most labor intensive when you include burnt ends. People react differently when you say you're serving brisket. It's magic.

Great cook thanks for sharing, looks like it came out pretty good. I'm also a wrap fan myself, wrap and rest for a couple of hours, I've never been disappointed.

it was mild. no major difference from the stick burner when I burn a clean fire. I dont care for a heavy smoke profile. I used lumberjack 100% hickory pellets.

I liked it. I'd do it again. pellets are not for everybody

This is what I miss from my prior stick burner and pellet smoker. The smoke was clean (not bitter) and enhanced the meat rather than being a dominant flavor profile. I couldn’t tell the difference between pellet or sticks either. I mean I like my kamado joe but it doesn’t produce the best smoke flavor. I’m getting back into pellets for good I think. Still keeping the joe because it can do so much more than just smoke and do it very well.

This is what I miss from my prior stick burner and pellet smoker. The smoke was clean (not bitter) and enhanced the meat rather than being a dominant flavor profile. I couldn’t tell the difference between pellet or sticks either. I mean I like my kamado joe but it doesn’t produce the best smoke flavor. I’m getting back into pellets for good I think. Still keeping the joe because it can do so much more than just smoke and do it very well.
Which cooker are you buying?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

what's weird is the consensus seems to be pellets lack smoke and sticks can be too smokey. the way I see it is they are both all wood. I run a clean fire in the stick burner with almost no exhaust. I call this bbq not smoking. smoke is a byproduct of the process and adds flavor just like seasoning. too little and its missing something, too much and it tastes like an ash tray

what's weird is the consensus seems to be pellets lack smoke and sticks can be too smokey. the way I see it is they are both all wood. I run a clean fire in the stick burner with almost no exhaust. I call this bbq not smoking. smoke is a byproduct of the process and adds flavor just like seasoning. too little and its missing something, too much and it tastes like an ash tray

I think what adds to the confusion, if there is any, is that different brands of pellet smokers produce different amounts of smoke flavor. I had a GMG that produced very little smoke flavor. Now I have a MAK that produces plenty of smoke flavor. Pellet smokers are not all created equal.

Back