help needed with sauce

West River BBQ

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I have a KC style home-made sauce that consists of rub mix, ketchup, some vinegar and a couple other seasonings. I need some advice for thinning it out because it was too clumpy when saucing my chicken, even when heated. I'm worried about changing the flavor by adding more vinegar (the only liquid) and I don't think more ketchup will do the job either. I like the mild heat that comes at the end. Any thoughts? Can anybody direct me toward a similar but thinner recipe that they like?

I have a KC style home-made sauce that consists of rub mix, ketchup, some vinegar and a couple other seasonings. I need some advice for thinning it out because it was too clumpy when saucing my chicken, even when heated. I'm worried about changing the flavor by adding more vinegar (the only liquid) and I don't think more ketchup will do the job either. I like the mild heat that comes at the end. Any thoughts? Can anybody direct me toward a similar but thinner recipe that they like?

Apple juice or even water will work

If you like the recipe you are using- just thin it out like the man says above.

If you want a totally different sauce, someone will be along directly to help you out.... bet on it:grin:

Lots of choices.

Use a less acidic vinegar, but use more of it.

Add bourbon

Add Juice or water

Use tomato sauce instead of ketchup, and adjust seasonings.

Add worchestire sauce

If you're using onion powder, take it out, and throw an onion in the blender.

All I can think of off the top of my head.

Initially, I would try just adding a little bit of water. Even a small amount might be all it takes to get it to the consistency you're looking for. And, if you're just stirring it with a spoon or something, try whisking it to break up the clumps you mentioned.

I like the adding water recommendation to try to preserve your flavor profile, but I might hit your sauce with an immersion blender first and see if that will handle the clumps.

You might try simmering the sauce longer. 15-30mins to break up any clumps.

Back