Unattended UDS safe or not safe

Just when you think that "holds a temp nicely" the temp gets out of wack. Sunny, cloudy, raining, windy!

If it is on concrete and NOTHING and Nobody is or will anywhere near be it, it should be okay. Then again, I'm a firm believer that if it can go wrong, it will. I will leave my Stumps unattended because it is all enclosed and it doesn't get hot on the outside.
With the IQ on my Stumps I:sleep: all night:thumb:

I have passed out errrr..... fell asleep for 8 hours and come back to it sitting at 225 right where I left it. I would not sweat it.

I'm from the Camp that throws their meat on,check the temp for about 2 hours...when stabilized take a good night sleep.:becky:

I tell my customers that "it's almost set it and forget it". Leave and go to work for (I'm assuming) 8+ hours, not me cause I know my BDS's (Beautiful Drum Smokers) better than that. Take a nap or leave them for a few hours ... yes not a problem.

I'm from the Camp that throws their meat on,check the temp for about 2 hours...when stabilized take a good night sleep.:becky:

That's what makes cooking on a UDS, WSM, or even an ECB so worthwhile, once you get the feel of your smoker, you can actually sleep! I've even left my ECB all alone for 6 hours +, and it was still cruising at 240! It's about the cooker's technique, more than the actual piece of hardware used to cook. The extra sleep is a big bonus.

Back