Lone Star Grillz Vertical Insulated Cabinet Smoker-For the new Owner

Look forward on hearing more stuff. I'm cooking this weekend.

Look forward on hearing more stuff. I'm cooking this weekend.

I will not be home this weekend at all, thus the big push to do it last weekend. I will be traveling the entire weekend. Next weekend, I plan on cooking.

I also did my first cook last weekend, 8 pork butts for a retirement party. Took over 2hrs to get up to 250deg and I could never get over 250. I did use water and used my IQ120 along with keeping the cap off of the 2nd pipe. I burned thru a lot of charcoal (40lbs). I think the cold outside temps is why it took so long to heat up and I think using water didn't help raise the temps either. Will try the next cook without water and plan to use a weed burner to heat up the inside. Was very impressed with how moist the meat was along with a incredible smoke ring.

I also did my first cook last weekend, 8 pork butts for a retirement party. Took over 2hrs to get up to 250deg and I could never get over 250. I did use water and used my IQ120 along with keeping the cap off of the 2nd pipe. I burned thru a lot of charcoal (40lbs). I think the cold outside temps is why it took so long to heat up and I think using water didn't help raise the temps either. Will try the next cook without water and plan to use a weed burner to heat up the inside. Was very impressed with how moist the meat was along with a incredible smoke ring.

How long was your cook?

I am a L&S guy, not getting over 250 would be a huge success for me :) I have Been using Lump Charcoal and been very happy with the results

How long was your cook?

I am a L&S guy, not getting over 250 would be a huge success for me :) I have Been using Lump Charcoal and been very happy with the results

12hrs from the time I fired it up to the time I took the meat off. Had to finsh the meat in an oven on site due to time. I'm thinking about trying lump this weekend along with using fir bricks for a more even burn.

I dont own a LS but I come in peace! These are huge smokers, lots of cold metal, water. I give myself 2 hours to get up to temp on a cooker about half the weight as a LS. 2 big things you can do to get to temp faster is by having more lit coals to start and invest in a weedburner. Lit your fire with the burner which also pumps alot of heat into the cooker, then take the burner to your grates and clean them off with the flamethrower, hit up the sides, dont be afraid if all the sudden you see your temps around 300 right away, they will drop down. Lump may help you get hotter, but also be aware that lump likes to take off if you dont have your airflow under wraps. 40 degrees is cold, but tropical compares to the -20 our last contest was when we lit the pits. You can do it.

The water probably had a lot to do with it also. I will try cooking with no water tomorrow and playing around. I should have messed around with it when I was conditioning it.

I cant speak for the insulated smoker yet, as mine wont be delivered till the end of May.

Speaking from experience using my 22" WSM. I use water religiously for all my cooks, as I am a pure low and slow smoker, and believe the moist environment is good to have. That huge body of water takes alot of energy and time to heat, and then only will hit 212F. Getting heat past that to the rest of the smoker will be hard. I am pretty sure if you dont use water, you will be able to reach and control much higher temperatures.

If you plan on using water, I highly recommend filling the water tray with boiling water (I boil water using 2 large pots before my cooks)

The weed burner sounds like a great idea as well to warm up the grates and the walls of the smoker. This is something I will be doing as well.

Just a thought for you to ponder. When I cook on my Backwoods I heat the water up before I start the fire and pour it in just prior to putting the meat on. This seems to help regulate the 250 that I am shooting for. Hope this helps.

Smoke Ring

Hey guys, I hate to tell you but in judging school they teach you to disregard the smoke ring. I have been a certified judge for KCBS, MIM, and the Florida Barbecue Association and they all say the same thing. Here is a link on Amazing Ribs about the smoke ring: http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/mythbusting_the_smoke_ring.html

I don't see having water was an "error". The cooker is made to be able to cook with a moist environment. Now, it may be the amount of water you have in there that may be the issue. I would contact the manufacture to see what the right amount of water to place in the pan is ideal to be able to cook at the temps you want.
Also, a weed burner will go a long way in reducing the amount of heating up time it takes. I preheat my cabinet smoker with one and it helps get to temp within an hour (and that is with using water).

Hi GrillsGoneWild, I placed enough water in the pan so that smoke was not exiting from the top vent, and then added maybe a half gallon more. I used tap hot water. One of the problems that led to my temp issue was the screw for for door latch was a tad loose and the door did not have a good seal around it ,letting heat and smoke out. Both issues were pretty much corrected during my cook. The door now closes with a good click, compared to before, where there was almost no click sound at all. Do you happen to own one of these Lone Star vertical cabinets, or do you have something similar?

Weed burner is on order, and should be here in a few days. That should help get temps up there a tad quicker and also help with cleaning/sanitizing the cooking grates before a cook. :thumb:

Slowly but surely I'm getting there!

My water heater is set to about 140. I'll Havre to try that. Seems to take forever to boil water.

My second 2" DuraChoice 2" Brass Ball Valve came in today, and is snugly installed. I also receive some stainless steel polish for my doors.

My water heater is set to about 140. I'll Havre to try that. Seems to take forever to boil water.

Yes it does take forever. I usually pour scalding hot tap water into 2x2 gallon pots and let them come to boil. It can take a good 30 minutes from there for the pots to come to a boil. Sometimes I cheat with an electric tea kettle :-D

You have to take extra care transporting boiling water as not injure yourself or others.

My second 2" DuraChoice 2" Brass Ball Valve came in today, and is snugly installed. I also receive some stainless steel polish for my doors.

I wonder what affect location/ elevation has on the cook. I am basically at sea level, I stick a pencil in the 2" valve as gauge when the smoker comes up to temp . That is all the opening that I need to maintain 250 +/-

Now that is a good idea! I should find a pencil or equivalent to help zero my temps.

Not sure how elevation will effect a cook. I know, I'm not at sea level, but I am about an hours drive from the Shenandoah, Skyline drive area. This is an area of smaller mountains, around 4000 feet high.

Well I'm glad I found this thread I ordered my LS about three weeks ago, hoping to receive it in the first of May. Looking forward to doing some comps with it and would love to hear and see some cooks from this smoker. I currently have a Yoder Kingman stick burner..... Love it.... But was hoping to use the LS for catering and comps. Please keep more information coming along with some pics :)
PS I don't think I will have the heat issues as you guys because it gets to 120 here in the summer :crazy: LOL

Hi GrillsGoneWild, I placed enough water in the pan so that smoke was not exiting from the top vent, and then added maybe a half gallon more. I used tap hot water. One of the problems that led to my temp issue was the screw for for door latch was a tad loose and the door did not have a good seal around it ,letting heat and smoke out. Both issues were pretty much corrected during my cook. The door now closes with a good click, compared to before, where there was almost no click sound at all. Do you happen to own one of these Lone Star vertical cabinets, or do you have something similar?

Weed burner is on order, and should be here in a few days. That should help get temps up there a tad quicker and also help with cleaning/sanitizing the cooking grates before a cook. :thumb:

Slowly but surely I'm getting there!

I have a Backyard Bomber MJH cabinet smoker. It is my first cabinet smoker and took about 3-4 cooks to get down how to get it up to temp and to stay there. I do use a guru, which helps a lot to get the temps up along with using the weed burner to start my coals and warm up the inside. I even use the weed burner to heat up the water pan and the place water in it, so that is another option to try. Looking forward to seeing the results of your first cook.

Back