Help Please - Chicken Wings for Competition

SmokeMeTender

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
We are entered into a contest that has chicken wings as a side. The presentation is the same as KCBS.
Just wondering how many grill, smoke or bread and fry their wings. Any tips is welcome.:-D

i've seen alot of smoked "hot wings" with very tangy sauce.

Use a combo

We are entered into a contest that has chicken wings as a side. The presentation is the same as KCBS.
Just wondering how many grill, smoke or bread and fry their wings. Any tips is welcome.:-D

Weahave used a variety of methods. The best seememed to be when we Fried the wings. applied your favorite sauce(bbq or sweet spicy seem to be a hit around here), and placon the pit @250- 300 for 2 hrs.

Hey Professor Salt, you wanna help out here? Get the recipe that Salt used at the bash, A#1!

Try them with Thai Sweet Chili Sauce, not too hot, a hint of garlic and a sweet sauce.

Brian

Smoke them then finish off in the deep fryer.Just my.02 worth

Hey Bent, thanks for the props. The recipe I used at the Brethren bash ain't gonna fly at a KCBS contest, IMO. It's a Chinese roast pork marinade. It tastes good, but the flavors are way off in left field at a BBQ comp.

rvn4fun, if this is for a KCBS anything butt category, you may want to double check that particular category's rules regarding frying. Frying's generally not allowed.

In any case, this thread is real interesting to me, cuz I've been wondering if any teams compete w/ wings. It's my favorite chicken part, but sorta oddball to turn in.

I'd recommend cooking hot & fast. Clean yer grill real good, direct heat at 400 - 425 F, heavy wood smoke, watch for flareups, and done in 20 minutes. Flip & rotate your wings around the grill a few times so they cook more evenly. Rotsa ruck.

I just posted a pic of some wings I cooked yesterday. It is how I have done them for the last year or so. The are really good!!!

Marinate the wings for a couple of hours. I have used Stubbs and it is good but lately have just been using Italian dressing with some wortsy and soy. Then smoke the wings at 250 for 3 hours (no it is not too long). Pull them off and spray with apple juice. Immediately sprinkle heavily with a dry rub that is sweet, salty and very spicy (heavy brown sugar, paprika, salt, cayenne, and red pepper flakes). They will not disappoint.

Here is a pic:

IMG_1265.jpg

Smokin Gator you have my mouth watering for wings.They look good

Ok Brent, you convinced me, I'll go pay 3.50 a # for wings!:mad: :p

Professor Salt, the wings you did, were they "Char Siu"? never had it smoked before...
are you a Hawaii transplant? (you knew what spam musubi was:rolleyes: )

EDIT: sorry I just realized I sort of "hijacked" the thread...uummm
rv4fun, my aplogies...

I like the fry-then-smoke way. If you haven't tried it, get some Nando's Garlic Peri-Peri sauce to try with some wings... great, different flavor. It's easy to incorporate in other sauces, too.

Professor Salt, the wings you did, were they "Char Siu"? never had it smoked before...
are you a Hawaii transplant? (you knew what spam musubi was:rolleyes: )

Yup, chashu marinade. It goes pretty good with a light smoke. I cook wings hot & fast - in and out in 30 minutes max. Don't know how the marinade would taste after 2 hours of low & slow, but lemme know if you try it!

(hmmm, got me thinking about roasting chashu-sized strips of pork butt in the smoker...)

I'm not Hawaiian, but I'm the token Japanese guy on the Four Q team. :lol:

If you can get some of that rub that Smokin Gator sent me in the trade, you'll have it made!

Thanks for all of the information. The contest is open, you can prepare by any method which includes deep frying.

I will try the suggestions for the hot sauces. :-D

I did some for a contest, but I did a spicy one.

I marinated in Franks hot sauce, chopped garlic and buttermilk. I took them out then sprinkled them with paprika and 4 kinds of peeper. Smoked them for awhile and got 3rd.

Back