• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Brisket hep.. Please.

altomari8868

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Hi all, my question is with burnt ends for the competitions. I pull my brisket at around 190 to 200 degree depending on feel. I foil it and place into a cooler till before turn in. My question has 2 parts.
  1. If it is done 3 hours before turn in do you seperate the point from the flat at this time. Then foil it and place in the cooler. I ask the first question because I am thinking of including burnt ends with my next box.
  2. If you do burnt ends in with slices have you found it successful.
Any help would be huge.... Thanks in advance.

You may not want brisket advice from me after seeing my Lexington finish :icon_blush: but ya, split 'em, hold the flat, and toss the point back on the smoker. We have found including burnt ends helpful, but as always if something comes out badly don't include it. You can even turn in only the point if the flat didn't come out well.

agree ^^^^^^
I seperate mine at 160 and cut up the burnt ends.....reseason......a little sauce and foil them up until they are sticky icky and super tender.
but that's just me.

... but as always if something comes out badly don't include it ...

This just might be the single most important piece of advice that you'll ever get. I can't count how many times the flat was great but the point wasn't or vice versa. Or the pulled pork was great & the sliced was mushy, etc. If you put it in the box it WILL get judged, for better or worse.

This just might be the single most important piece of advice that you'll ever get. I can't count how many times the flat was great but the point wasn't or vice versa. Or the pulled pork was great & the sliced was mushy, etc. If you put it in the box it WILL get judged, for better or worse.

More from the new judge: I had a brisket sample in front of me last weekend that consisted of slices and burnt ends. The slice was great and the delectably candied burnt end was...tasteless. Uh, what? I probably did a double take. And I had to mark the overall turn-in down because of the burnt end.

My fledgling advice is this: TASTE what you're turning in before putting it in the box. Their extra chunks of burnt ends hurt them on my score sheet...

I don't know, we've done very well by splitting them.

You do what you want, I'll keep walking with mine.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

You take walks with your brisket? Thats weird, do you use a leash?! Anyway why split and release juices????? If trimed correctly splitting a brisket is a waste of time and lost juices. IMO

You take walks with your brisket? Thats weird, do you use a leash?! Anyway why split and release juices????? If trimed correctly splitting a brisket is a waste of time and lost juices. IMO

I agree with Matt 100%. When you split a brisket, you release juices that you are trying to maintain in the flat. As meat cooks, the muscles tighten and squeeze juices to the outer edges of the meat while sometimes extracting them. This is why we get pan drippings when roasting large meats and also why we rest meat after cooking. By cutting into the meat, these juices rush out and end up on your cutting board. Unless you plan on turning in your cutting board, I say leave the flat and point connected until your brisket is fully rested at least 30 minutes.

Both methods can work. It depends on the skill of the cook, the exact method, and many other factors.

EDIT: I'm not saying that one method is easier or more difficult than the other:) Personally, I prefer a compromise that doesn't require me to watch 4 pieces of meat instead of 2.

Last edited:
Both methods can work. It depends on the skill of the cook, the exact method, and many other factors.

Thank you.

I have had no problems keeping the flat juicy, tender and full of flavor.

Also by splitting, I'm able to get not only seasoning all around both the flat and the point, but also smoke flavor.

I tried some of Divemaster's burnt ends at a contest a couple years ago.
Melted in your mouth, thanks Jeff.

After re-reading the thread I think there may be a miss understanding. I split my briskets prior to cooking, not after.

Sorry for any confusion.

Back