Sauce Storage

smokinbutts

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Hey Brethren!

Over the weekend I did some experimenting with some BBQ sauce, I made a vinegar based sauced that was regular and one spicy... I made a bunch on accident and have them in three restaurant style ketchup bottles... Questions...

1. How long would they last refrigerated in those bottles
2. I have mason jars should I transfer them into there and boil the jars for a seal...
3. How do you guys do it??? lol, I might not make PP for another month and the sauce was to good to toss!

:razz:

Depends on the amount of vinegar and if you are storing in the refrigerator or not.

My "Eastern NC style" sauce is mostly vinegar and I can leave that sit out in the garage for months and it is as good then as just cooked. My "Lexington style" sauce I refrigerate and it keeps for months without degradating.
I ALWAYS keep mine in plastic gallon jugs.

I've kept my vinegar, sweet sauce in the fridge for at least a couple of months. My recipe makes a quart. When canning season comes along I may make a couple of batches and slip them in the canner with the wife's jelly.

If it has vinegar it's shelf stable I never keep homemade sauce in the refrigerator. it goes in the empty catsup bottles and into the pantry with it till needed aint kilt me in all my yrs on earth

Last two batches of sauce I made, I made extra and poured it into sanitized pint mason jars while still hot, sealed it up, and it's good to go.

I make a mustard/ketchup/vinegar based sauce. I have found that when I use mason jars and even vacuum seal them, if the sauce gets up on the lid, it will start to rust after a while.

wallace(Don)

Back