OK here's a pic of the inside of my NEW PBC. The inside was not that black before the cook. If you look at the 2nd picture of the bottom of the PBC, the inside walls looked about like the bottom before I ever used it. What you see is seasoning that's cracking off. This is normal. Sometimes if you don't cook for a few weeks on a cooker you'll notice slight surface rusting. Especially if it's been humid outside. That will usually wipe off fairly easily and what's left will burn off when you cook.

Does this look like what you have uncle drew?

20150609_202122_zpsvepfzmjq.jpg

20150609_202332_zpsvbtqc603.jpg

FYI the PBC has a very light porcelain coating on the inside that is purely cosmetic and is to prevent any rusting on the inside should it sit in a retail store for a while. Once you start cooking that coating will get gunked up as the lovely seasoning starts building up.

Last edited:
Thanks Bob. I wasn't aware of the light coating inside. I just know once I cooked on it the walls became very dark from the seasoning of the cook. The pics show some of it cracking off. But I do know that's not paint cracking off....

That makes complete sense to basically have a temporary sheath inside to protect from corrosion before it can be seasoned by the purchaser. (also a cosmetic thing)

So some of you may know I talked a co-worker/friend of mine into buying a PBC a couple months ago. This man never smoked meat prior to buying the PBC so was about as much of a newbie as you can find. His first cook was a brisket flat! Argueably one of the hardest pieces of meat you can cook. He followed Noah's instructions to the T and needless to say he fell in love with the cooker immediately after tasting the brisket. Since then he's been on fire cooking every weekend multiple meat items. He's done ribs, pork butt, chicken, salmon, and the brisket. I haven't been able to talk him into joining us here yet so I figured I'd post a couple things he's cooked. While looking at these pics remember he never smoked before and his grilling experience was all gassers.

Last edited:
OK here's a pic of the inside of my NEW PBC. The inside was not that black before the cook. If you look at the 2nd picture of the bottom of the PBC, the inside walls looked about like the bottom before I ever used it. What you see is seasoning that's cracking off. This is normal. Sometimes if you don't cook for a few weeks on a cooker you'll notice slight surface rusting. Especially if it's been humid outside. That will usually wipe off fairly easily and what's left will burn off when you cook.

Does this look like what you have uncle drew?

20150609_202122_zpsvepfzmjq.jpg

20150609_202332_zpsvbtqc603.jpg

Mine blistered, and rubbed away at the touch. I'll have time today to take pictures and call PBC.

So some of you may know I talked a co-worker/friend of mine into buying a PBC a couple months ago. This man never smoked meat prior to buying the PBC so was about as much of a newbie as you can find. His first cook was a brisket flat! Argueably one of the hardest pieces of meat you can cook. He followed Noah's instructions to the T and needless to say he fell in love with the cooker immediately after tasting the brisket. Since then he's been on fire cooking every weekend multiple meat items. He's done ribs, pork butt, chicken, salmon, and the brisket. I haven't been able to talk him into joining us here yet so I figured I'd post a couple things he's cooked. While looking at these pics remember he never smoked before and his grilling experience was all gassers.

All look great. Sound like he is happy you convinced him to get one.

All look great. Sound like he is happy you convinced him to get one.

Kinda funny. He's told me several times how much money I've saved him because he likes his ribs, brisket, salmon and chicken better than the restaurants he use to frequent. His wife agrees too. But he told another co-worker that he thinks he loves the PBC more than I do....lol. So yes, he's very happy. It's funny too, he believes everything Noah says about cooking different meats. I've tried to tell him a few different ways to cook some of the meats such as adding a sear to a Tri-Trip at the end of a cook. He doesn't wanna hear it! I think it's great actually but I'm sure he will try some different techniques eventually.
He's a very happy PBC owner that's for sure! :biggrin1:

Kinda funny. He's told me several times how much money I've saved him because he likes his ribs, brisket, salmon and chicken better than the restaurants he use to frequent. His wife agrees too. But he told another co-worker that he thinks he loves the PBC more than I do....lol. So yes, he's very happy. It's funny too, he believes everything Noah says about cooking different meats. I've tried to tell him a few different ways to cook some of the meats such as adding a sear to a Tri-Trip at the end of a cook. He doesn't wanna hear it! I think it's great actually but I'm sure he will try some different techniques eventually.
He's a very happy PBC owner that's for sure! :biggrin1:

You know what happens to people when they ignore Noah's warnings!

You know what happens to people when they ignore Noah's warnings!

They are banished to cook in a crock pot for the remained of their life? Lol

Ah I'm sure Noah enjoys seeing different cooking methods used in the PBC. I dont mean altering the PBC I just mean things like wrapping brisket in butcher paper or not wrapping as apposed to foiling it. But I do think it's smart for my friend to follow the videos until he gets use to smoking.

Last edited:
Buy enough firebrick splits to make a square big enough for the PBC to be placed on. That should prevent heat getting to your deck.

Congrats on the new house!

Thanks!! I used some bricks to protect my current wood deck, worked great. Just concerned about the durability of the composite.

As a bonus, the wife saw a nice built in grill / island thing at costco and asked why I don't build one. Could be a fun project to work in my different toys

Thanks!! I used some bricks to protect my current wood deck, worked great. Just concerned about the durability of the composite.

As a bonus, the wife saw a nice built in grill / island thing at costco and asked why I don't build one. Could be a fun project to work in my different toys

I like what bodog did here in this post earlier on the thread (post #563) 2nd and 4th pics showing his PBC on his deck... I think he used a decorative brick. I would bet that would block enough heat to protect your composit deck though.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=3266455&postcount=563

Last edited:
I like what bodog did here in this post earlier on the thread (post #563) 2nd and 4th pics showing his PBC on his deck... I think he used a decorative brick. I would bet that would block enough heat to protect your composit deck though.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=3266455&postcount=563

Thanks, if memory serves me correctly, I bought those for $1.50 to $1.75 a piece. Patio pavers...I think they are about 16" x 16" each. Used 4. Don't know if I needed them, but really didn't want to take a chance. Just something I picked up one day from a local Tractor Supply type store.

My brother-in-law is new to smoking and I sold him on a PBC. I think it'll be perfect for him, and I really appreciate what Noah has done building the PBC Co.

My brother-in-law is new to smoking and I sold him on a PBC. I think it'll be perfect for him, and I really appreciate what Noah has done building the PBC Co.

Perfect choice for someone starting out. And for anyone who likes great results with my minimal effort.

• Thanks
Reactions: SGH
Got my PBC for Fathers Day! Wife and son surprised me with it. :-D
This thread is a great read, even with the Hatfields and McCoys going at it lol :razz:

I have a modded ECB that I usually use for ribs and butt, but have never cooked a brisket. Well that will happen this weekend! I will let you know how it goes and will post pics. I will basically follow the video to a T, so I am not too worried about it.

Thanks for all the PBC knowledge and inspirational photos!

Got my PBC for Fathers Day! Wife and son surprised me with it. :-D
This thread is a great read, even with the Hatfields and McCoys going at it lol :razz:

I have a modded ECB that I usually use for ribs and butt, but have never cooked a brisket. Well that will happen this weekend! I will let you know how it goes and will post pics. I will basically follow the video to a T, so I am not too worried about it.

Thanks for all the PBC knowledge and inspirational photos!

Congratulations and welcome! You will love the PBC for sure. I've never done brisket either but will make my first this weekend as well....post some pics! I will too. :biggrin1:

Back