How much does a home made pizza cost

halfcocked

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I pay attention what it takes to make a pie (ingredients, fuel, original cost of set up etc.) but I have not made an effort to calculate it. I guess it really does not matter if you like to make your own but has anyone figured this out. A large pie from a commercial restaurant around here is about $20 when you add the extra toppings and maybe as much as $23-25 with tip and all. Just wondering, not intending to give up the sport. Besides, I like mine more than I do most restaurant ones anyway.

I enjoy making my own pizza- I'm creative that way. But we buy a lot more pizzas than I make. If it's just me and the wife, I can turn out a pretty good pie- assuming I had gone to the (minimal) trouble of making up a dough ball or two ahead of time.

If I have 5 grand kids and their parents over... Domino's delivers.

I haven't calculated the per cost of making pizzas, but off the top of my head, I find a significant portion of the cost is the cheese. Dough and sauce can be made cheaply enough.

I buy my dough pre-tossed from my favorite pizza joint - $3.50 per. Then I put on my own ingredients, usually margherita or shrimp/artichoke. No one will cover a pie with shrimp like I do. The shrimp ones are pretty pricey. The margheritas not so much. Still cheaper than commercial.

94878464_10158122338581341_4205087352915230720_n.jpg

93485276_10158075345876341_4649592055457120256_n.jpg

I haven't calculated but now that I think about it's probably no more than a $2 to $3 a pie. I use a Blackstone oven and it's LP fueled.

From scratch or store bought ingredients. Runs stupid cheap if you make the dough and sauce. Super easy to do btw.

Last edited:
I have a roccbox and really only use the propane burner. Dough is super cheap at maybe $0.50 for a 10 inch pizza if I buy 00 flour. I buy cheese in bulk at restaurant depot and $12 in cheese there makes probably upwards of 50 small pizzas easily. Sauce is also fairly cheap to make yourself as a big can of san marzano tomatoes is only a few dollars. Overall I think its less than $2 per pie for me.

MzFKzDI

Here's one I made the other day.

https://imgur.com/MzFKzDI

Back