THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Timmy Mac

Take a breath!
My friend wants me to smoke a leg this weekend. I've never done it in a smoker,were also doing a whole lamb on a open spit.We got the spit down. I'm looking for some guidance and suggestions. I want to cook it medium well to well. Thanks

If this is the first time I would:

1. Debone/butterfly it.
2. Use traditional lamby herbs like rosemary and garlic to marinate for several hours min.
3. Smoke for an hour 275/300 with some fruit wood like apple or cherry. Don't overdo the smoke.
4. Then grill both sides as required (5+ mins a side). You can sneak peeks at the meat with some small exploratory cuts if you are uncertain as to how cooked it is. A bit of charring is a good thing :)
5. Note 1: Lamb is very juicy so don't overcook thinking the juice is indicative of being undercooked.
6. Note 2: I have found that because lamb has so much fat, if smoked only, the meat has a greasy/oily texture which isn't attractive. With the grill finish, this goes and you can get some delightful mixes of flavours and textures.

This gives a good result reliably every time for me. The butterflying gives a more even thickness of meat for your initial goes at cooking - later you can leave the bone in which is more challenging.

I did one on the weekend where I also thinly coated in Chinese cha siu, which gave it a really nice sweet something, but this kinda covers the beautiful flavour of properly cooked lamb.

Cut into small pieces, cold leftovers are a great addition to salads. Oh, the taste of cold lamb fat on a school lunch sandwich - takes me back 50 years.

I'd do it like you would a roast beef. Smoke to a bit below your desired temp, sear to get a nice crust, then rest for 10-20 minutes before you slice. No need to overcook lamb, it is great rare or medium rare.

Back