Spares in two hours?

S

Samkat93

I put two racks of spare ribs on the smoker a little over two hours ago and have been cooking around 250. Thermometer says internal temp is already over 160. Can this be right? Seems like they cooked very fast. Thanks!

Are both internal thermometer and pit thermometer accurate ?

Has the meat pulled back from the end of the bone where it should be ?

I personally never pay any attention to temps on ribs. THey are so thin it's hard to get accurate #'s. Go more by feel and look. They should be pulling back from the ends of the bones and when you lift the rack in the center it should bend pretty easily.

ribs have pulled back about a qtr inch. i've given up on my thermoms. i'm convinced none of them are accurate. seems like i get different readings on all of them

Hard to use thermos on ribs as they are so thin. Find your altitude and do the boiling water calibration on your thermos.

I am going to guess you are a lot hotter than 250* for them to have pulled back 1/4" after 2 hours.

my digital thermo says 143 and my nondigital says about 170. by the way, don't get an accurite digital thermo. i can't even let it sit near the smoker. gets too hot and the screen goes crazy. not having a good day today. oh well....beats working.

my digital thermo says 143 and my nondigital says about 170. by the way, don't get an accurite digital thermo. i can't even let it sit near the smoker. gets too hot and the screen goes crazy. not having a good day today. oh well....beats working.

Try a Thermapen. You'll throw the other 2 in the trash.

My ribs are done when I grasp the center of the rack and they bend almost into a U-shape.
Ive never used a thermometer on ribs.
Ive done ribs on the gas grill before I learned how to Q and it only took a couple of hours.
I figure 4-5 hrs at 250 degrees for a rack of ribs to be done.

Thanks everyone. bout to pull them off and see how they turned out.

How did they come out? For spares, you can lift them in the center with tongs and see if the sides seriously sag. If so, they're likely done. Another couple tests are to stick a tooth pick in between the bones, it should go in very easily. Also check for how the bones wiggle in the sockets. Sometimes I'll check with a toothpick if I'm not sure, but after a while you just get an eye for it. The tong test is pretty accurate though in my experience.

Try the pull test...tug at a couple of bones in the center of the slab...if they pull apart easy...your ribs are done! :p

They can cook very quickly surprisingly enough! As stated by another, try and get used to the look, feel & touch vs internal temp.

I cook mostly baby backs and at the point the bend easily from the center I foil for another 30 mins, never fails!

Good Cookin

SamKat, Lots of good threads here for ribs. Temp check on ribs is not something that will prolly work. Other tenderness techs might be a better option for you. Cooked spares on the UDS tonight, which usually cooks quicker, did 4 1/2 hours with no foil and was terrific. Remember, lots of different times and temps to get what you like! Every cooker is DIFFERENT. You'll figure it out with some practice. Keep us posted with lots of pics.
Sorry for the blurry pics...rum mod!

Attachments

• Spare and fattie April 08.JPG
    Spare and fattie April 08.JPG
    112.3 KB · Views: 77
  • Fattie Sage and Flap morsel.JPG
    Fattie Sage and Flap morsel.JPG
    121.3 KB · Views: 76
I've given up on the remote thermometers. I calibrate about every 8 weeks now for the main gauges on SusieQ and when I did just recently I tested my old fashion meat thermometers and the new wireless ones. Meat thermometers - dead on. Wireless ones, off by 12 - 23. The old fashion ones have the temp in about 30 seconds and it only cost me 3.50 a piece. How many of those would I need to equal the therma pen?

I've given up on the remote thermometers. I calibrate about every 8 weeks now for the main gauges on SusieQ and when I did just recently I tested my old fashion meat thermometers and the new wireless ones. Meat thermometers - dead on. Wireless ones, off by 12 - 23. The old fashion ones have the temp in about 30 seconds and it only cost me 3.50 a piece. How many of those would I need to equal the thermapen?

25 and 13 minutes :biggrin:

Back