What is everyone using for hot wing sauce?

I make mine using Franks red hot, melted butter and a heaping tablespoon of chili garlic paste(found with Asian foods at the supermarket). It makes a killer spicy and flavorful sauce without being too over the top heat wise.

Franks, Butter, Garlic, Chili Powder, Old Bay and a little Lemon Zest. Dry rub them and let them soak in some of the dry ingredients as well, builds up a nice crunchy exterior.

What do you guys use for rubs? I've been making my own:

1 Tbsp garlic powder
1 Tbsp fresh ground pepper
1 Tbsp Inca fire salts (it's a seasoning I buy with sea salt, smoked paprika, chiles, lime peel, garlic, onion, allspice, cumin, black pepper)
2 tsp cayenne

I always use sugar maple wood with my wings. Love the flavour.

I'd love to read what other Brethren put in their hot wing rubs!

I use Franks hot sauce or Franks wing sauce and no matter which I use I add some garlic powder (preferred) or garlic salt along with some margarine. Everyone seems to like it..

Have thought about adding some cumin too, but haven't yet.

Not a big fan of Buffalo-style sauce. So, I've leaned towards BBQ---usually a Spicy version. Last couple cooks I've used the Johhny Trigg-favorite...Tiger Sauce.

Costly, but oh so good.

SS

Last edited:
Personally, I always just season my wings with salt, pepper & garlic powder then smoke them over high heat (325-350) and then toss them in sauce.

I make it easy and get the store bought wing sauce. We like the spicy garlic, sweet chili and any BBQ sauce that I have.

I do a 10-12min steam and cool first, then ^^^^^ this method. We prefer Carribean Jerk and Teriyaki. A light dusting of HDD under the Jerk sauce is Awesome!!

A bit of Blues Hogg.
A bit of Sriracha
A liberal dose of Habanero Death Dust.

I am toying with the idea of using Mike's Crucible on my next batch.

I sprinkle with some cayenne. Then I make a glaze 1/3 sriracha,1/3 brown sugar, and 1/3 honey. I use the glaze at the end until it sets.

1 part franks
1 part tobasco
1 part Texas petes
Butter
Garlic powder
Brown sugar or maple syrup
Blend and add flour to thicken

If not in a hurry start with a brick roux to add depth of flavor

I use Franks origin red hot, Franks buffalo wing sauce and then I add sriracha sauce and proceed to melt your mouth away. Or another go to sauce is plain Kraft bbq sauce and Sriracha. Thats always a crowd pleaser.

Edit to my last post: I grow and make my own sriricha sauce from the garden with 7 kinds of hot peppers and horseradish root.

I use Franks Wing Sauce most of the time. Sometimes I sprinkle a little of Willinghams For Big Kids Only rub on them for a little heat and then some Sweet Baby Rays and Open Pit mixed to coat them. I have had the Willinghams for so long I decided I may need to find something else. Just ordered some HHD yesterday!

Wow, lots of folks voting for franks. I like Franks original as well for the flavor, but haven't tried the wing sauce. Going to put in an order for habanero salt this week or maybe try the HDD i see everyone on here rave about.

Wow, lots of folks voting for franks. I like Franks original as well for the flavor, but haven't tried the wing sauce. Going to put in an order for habanero salt this week or maybe try the HDD i see everyone on here rave about.

Make sure you also get a bottle of the Frank's Sweet Chili Sauce.

It's great as glaze on chops, loins and etc.

Truly exceptional.

Love that pickle juice & Frank's injection in wings !!!!

MCuza6o.jpg

Wings......wings.

Man, you've just kicked up a craving that's going to end in my having to cook some wings today or tomorrow.

I like a quality wing rub and this is my second pound bag of Mad Hunky wing rub. It is great on wings and chicken and I love layering on a second type of rub over this, too.

I like Mad Hunky first and then something sweet over it. Perfecto !!!!!

Once they are good and crispy I'll brush on a good sauce....it ranges in type....usually a quality hickory sauce that I cut a bit with apple juice.

Sometimes I'll go an entirely different route and bread them in some House-Autry Hot breading and grill them.....grilled-fried wings are killer !!!!!!

Try injecting the split breasts with pickle juice and Frank's Red Hot before dredging through the House-Autry Hot breading.

Wings are one of our favorite grilling foods !!!!

Now I'm going to have to try breaded grilled wings very soon! Looks super.

Edit to my last post: I grow and make my own sriricha sauce from the garden with 7 kinds of hot peppers and horseradish root.

Care to share? I've tried numerous sriracha recipes on the web and none are as good as the store bought.

Hey Ya all
Give this a try, it is awesome, both fried, smoked or grilled

BUFFALO WING SAUCE
6 TBLS FRANKS HOT SAUCE
4-5 TBLS MARGARINE OR BUTTER-MARGERINE MIXES BETTER
1.5 TBLS WHITE VINEGAR
¼ TSP CELERY SEED
¼ TSP CAYENNE PEPPER
¼ TSP RED PEPPER
¼ TSP GARLIC SALT
½ TSP BLACK PEPPER
¼ TSP WORCESTERSHIRE