Do you cover your pit?

I have a open covered patio where my cookers live. UV from the sun over time attacks any paint or enamel over time. Also wind with grit, and general debris. Don't forget the birds and insects and pollen. I've gone out and seen what was a clean cover when I put it on and then see what it looks like and think if it was not for the cover it would be in and on that smoker.

One more thing I learned many years ago is to never close off all the vents or you could invite mold due to condensation. A small vent opening on top and bottom will allow some air and evaporation.

Congratulations on the cooker and just my .02.

Uncovered here. I can't deal with a large tarp everytime I want to mess with it. Don't get me wrong. I babied the hell out of this thing when I first got it. Now it just sit outside and I've made some additions to keep it water tight in the rain. Planning on adding a roof once the reverse flow chamber is done.
db01e7bbe1c9db8e0173cd5ec25e2ddb.jpg
836f80fb7c163cd403998907a3a6b31f.jpg

DrEven the covers I use for "Postal Weather" are beginning to look like the grapes of wrath. I was gifted a new Primo Cover, Think the OK Joe Bronco covers are in stock locally 30$, Tiernan recently sold and heard a rumor that the new owners are manufacturing The SOB again so perhaps a cover-though guessing it would probably be north of 125$ like the Primo. Fornetto may just get a generic bullet cover.

Or perhaps, I may just go buy a couple blue tarps and utilize my roadfind bungee cords. Or as Toast says,or Formerly Toast says, always allow airflow via vents. Life on The High Plains is not the same as life in the swamp.

It's not as if I'm spending money on fishing trips

Last edited:
Sweet! Gonna keep the M1?

Not sure yet. I doubt it. I’ll Maybe get a pk360 or a weber 26 for quick grills. I can’t stand weber legs, so would have to build a table for a 26”...PK is attractive to me that way. My deck is only so big and I’m not a fan of having numerous grills scattered about the deck though as the flat top takes up some room as you know!

I have a weber performer at the lake that I really like using. I Could take the M1 down there I suppose. But steps are a no go with that thing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I

One more thing I learned many years ago is to never close off all the vents or you could invite mold due to condensation. A small vent opening on top and bottom will allow some air and 02.

Hmm...that’s a great idea. I just covered up my performer at the lake and out her away for the winter, snd my vents are shut...I never even thought about that honestly. Looks like I’m adjusting them open when I head back down there for one last trip. thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Have 2 cove point covept.com covers for 2 years now. Still like new, totally waterproof and custom fit. A little spendy, but well worth IMO. Also can get whatever color you want

Back