Royal Oak Real Wood Briquettes

F

Fiddy/Fiddy

Out of curiosity, I decided to try some Royal Oak real wood Premium Plus Briquettes. I was hoping they would be superior to their Kingford counterparts. I originally wanted to compare Kingsford Competition to my Lump brands but no one seemed to carry the Competition Briquettes in Canada.

It had to be the least pleasent stuff to light. You would not want to be standing down wind from the Weber Chimney as I lit her up with the Looftlighter. I could hear the neighbors coughing and all the neighborhood dogs suddenly quit barking and ran back into their houses. The smell of starch buring had me tearing up more than a four year-old that just watched Bambi for the first time. They may have removed most of the chemicals from the process but the stink of briquettes is still there.

Cooking temps are very impressive. The needle on the dome hit 600 F and the cooking grate Thermometer hit 780 F. What about the taste, this is what really matters. I cooked some burgers using the same method as I do when using Maple Leaf or Royal Oak Lump. I divided the grilling zones in half with one zone for direct searing and the other in-direct for finishing.

The result was "Bitter Burger face"! The stuff makes food bitter. It was not the sweetness that I enjoyed a week earlier cooking the same burgers over the Maple Leaf Lump.

I tried some dogs and some chicken with disappointing results. Bitter food was the norm. Maybe if I had not used the high quality lump before I would have not noticed. It was immediately noticeable.

I never finished the bag. I tossed her out since it was garbage day today. I gave them a good kick on the way out the door.

Bee-ha---Yuk! Is all I gotta say. Not sure how folk can stand using briquettes. I like the taste of food too much to use them ever again.

That sucks, I've never seen them around, but will keep on walking if I do see 'em. Thanks for the heads up. I can't imagine what they would be like on a low and slow cook.

is that the ultra 100 ? i can't imagine that the stuff would be that bad. havn't seen it here but if i do i will try it.

Back